Discuss voltdrop calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
been to look at a job with a long main supply approx 60m long underground 25mm 3core SWA running off a 100amp fused isolator.
meter position is at drive entrance and house is approx 60meters away.
not done a voltdrop calc for ages so can someone correct me if i,m wrong.
this is a new build from 3 years ago which has changed hands and new owners have built a huge double garage that needs wiring.
first look i thought it was to small for the length of run but my calc seems to put it ok.

1.64 x 60 x100
------------------- giving 9.84 v with 11.5v being max as i recall

Last edited:
work out the current likely to be drawn, then do your vd calc. bet it;s nowhere near 100A.

yes. you size cable according to design load. corrent 1st., the VD, then OCPD rating (Iz>In>Ib)

When I do vd calc I usually only allow 0.5% from the intake to main DB then 2.5% max for final lighting circuits.

What size cable would that result in for 60m 100A supply?
(Hint, I fell about laughing.)

One thing that has struck me, the OP is suggesting a 100A fused switch. No allowance for discrimination between a standard 100A service.

been to look at a job with a long main supply approx 60m long underground 25mm 3core SWA running off a 100amp fused isolator.
meter position is at drive entrance and house is approx 60meters away.
not done a voltdrop calc for ages so can someone correct me if i,m wrong.
this is a new build from 3 years ago which has changed hands and new owners have built a huge double garage that needs wiring.
first look i thought it was to small for the length of run but my calc seems to put it ok.

1.64 x 60 x100
------------------- giving 9.84 v with 11.5v being max as i recall

Others have wisely suggested looking at the actual load for the volt drop calculation.
Another thought. The 1.64 is presumably the mV/A/m from BS7671 - the regs.
It's per conductor. If you have a 60m run of single phase you have two current carrying conductors each 60m long.

If you have a 60m run of single phase you have two current carrying conductors each 60m long.

and what is your point, regarding the calculation of VD?

Others have wisely suggested looking at the actual load for the volt drop calculation.
Another thought. The 1.64 is presumably the mV/A/m from BS7671 - the regs.
It's per conductor. If you have a 60m run of single phase you have two current carrying conductors each 60m long.

surely the mV/A/m figure in BS7671 allows for the fact that you have 2 conductors. if you had only 1 conductor, there would be no current flow, hence no volt drop.:grin:

It does what it says on the tin.... just pick the column that is relevant to you..

A good way to estimate VD.

22.5/ csa, now times 2 for single phase and 1.73 for 3 phase.

so

22.5/25 = 0.9 now x 2 = 1.8

60x1.8x100/1000 = 10.8 volts

good for cables upto 50mm, beyond that add 0.08 for reactance.

What size cable would that result in for 60m 100A supply?
(Hint, I fell about laughing.)

One thing that has struck me, the OP is suggesting a 100A fused switch. No allowance for discrimination between a standard 100A service.

i have not suggested anything and have not done any work on this installation , just described the lay out of the existing installation which includes a switch fused 100amp isolator at the mains position.
the plot thickens.
i'm told there use to be a caravan were the new garage has been built .
found an enclosure with a consumer unit fed in 25mm SWA.
with no sign of the "Caravan supply " SWA at either end the bulder made a few calls and i was told there is an underground " tee joint " in the main SWA before the house !
anyone come across that before.
whipped the cover off the CU in the house for a quick look and has all the hall marks of a "Pub Job" ,just had a copy of the toilet paper /test sheets
box marked reg no reads "12345678 " .
due my inspection next month and jobs like this make you want tell em to shove there fee up the rusty rivet hole.

Last edited:

Reply to voltdrop calculation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net