Discuss Volts drop - 3 phase delta pump supply in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leolec

Came across a supply for a 3 phase delta water pump at a friends farm the other day, the cable appeared too small at 2.5mm swa given the distance (1/4 mile) so far as I was concerned. The 25A 3 phase 30ma RCD had been fried but the cable looked to be ok. Not being a 3 phase expert I pointed my friend at the faulty component which allowed him to call the right supplier.

But it's left me thinking - do the normal volts drop rules apply to delta configs?

as far as im aware normal volt drop applies, and using cablemate, i just did a cable calc, guessing 12A FLC, 25A type D, 5.5kw pump with power factor .8
came in at 10mm2 because of volt drop.

Sounds undersized for me, but ofcourse will need all details for a correct answer

Well it must be a dammed small motor to be wired in 2.5mm over a quarter of a mile!!

Motors generally require being wired with a cable that is sized, that will not drop voltage during it's starting/run-up time, when a higher current is flowing than it's normal FLC...

Came across a supply for a 3 phase delta water pump at a friends farm the other day, the cable appeared too small at 2.5mm swa given the distance (1/4 mile) so far as I was concerned. The 25A 3 phase 30ma RCD had been fried but the cable looked to be ok. Not being a 3 phase expert I pointed my friend at the faulty component which allowed him to call the right supplier.

But it's left me thinking - do the normal volts drop rules apply to delta configs?

Is this a pressurisation unit as opposed to a genuine water pump?

Thanks very much for the responses - I didn't go into the problem in too much detail as it was well out of my comfort zone, it is a pump, the head must be over 100ft so it must be fairly powerful. I assumed the installer knew what they were doing as it's all connected to a uv filtration unit and looks the part. Granted its not giving a massive flow or a high pressure, but it took out the 3 pole RCD and the 3 pole 16A MCB. I've been reading one or two threads about harmonics but ....? Anyway the thought at the mo is to fit a non-return valve to the intake and move the pump next to the UV filter. Stands a chance as long as the system can be primed.

Is the pump supplied by an inverter drive?

I don't know - didn't get that far with it - what should I be looking for - I assumed delta as only L1 L2 & L3 went to the control switch, the chasis was earthed and the neutral from the rcd went to the met, would this be the same in an inverter drive?

Reply to Volts drop - 3 phase delta pump supply in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net