Discuss Wago 221 Inline Lever Connectors 32A for use in socket replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIY Phil

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to replace some sockets during a routine redecoration of our lounge including replacing some singles with doubles with USB charge points. From past experience of doing similar in other rooms a long time ago (certainly before the advent of WAGO connectors), I recall that it was sometimes really difficult to get the sockets back into the back box, especially with some flush fitting sockets I had installed. Also, when getting behind the socket, the wires were often pretty short with hardly any play in them making them really difficult to connect up to the new sockets as they stood. I'm expecting to hit the same issues on the job I intend to do next and have a couple of questions relating to that.

• Are there any regs about back box depth if I replace them?
  • Can I use the Wago 221 Inline Lever Connectors to extend the existing mains wires? If so, are there any regs about the length of the extension wires and do the WAGOs have to be in any other kind of box before the socket is reconnected?

Thanks a ton in advance for any advice.

The back box should be of such a depth it doesn't place undue strain on conductors and terminations so the deeper the better.
For a ring final circuit even if you have a 30/32A protective device the connectors only need to be rated at 20A assuming you extend each individual wire.

The back box should be of such a depth it doesn't place undue strain on conductors and terminations so the deeper the better.
For a ring final circuit even if you have a 30/32A protective device the connectors only need to be rated at 20A assuming you extend each individual wire.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I already have a good number of the 32A single gang connectors so I'll be using those on each individual wire. Coupled with the deeper back boxes I'll be installing, the strain on those connections should be minimal. Thanks again!

Reply to Wago 221 Inline Lever Connectors 32A for use in socket replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net