Discuss Wall mounting pv panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rmccabe20

Any ideas anyone, viewed a job today and the guy wants 8 panels fixed horizontally on the south facing wall of his house, we use a standard schletter system, should i try and fit at a slight incline or fit at 90'.

15 degrees North = Greater Output than 90 degrees due south :) (Even the new MCS guide says so :) )
Any rail system securley fixed to the wall will do, remember anti-slip fixings for the panels - don't want them crashing to the floor..

had a quick look at this today, due to minimal space on roof the guy wants them fitted below window due to minimal space, what you think. trying for 8 below window and 8 on roof but prob pushing it, there is also maybe room for 3 panels on west elevation - aiming for 16 panels

Attachments

• IMG-20130225-00008.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 127
looks like greed to me :)
If mounted on the front, not sure he'll comply with permitted development rights ...
Whatever it will look a right dogs dinner.

Pretty certain it would fail all these requirements:

A.1. Development is not permitted by Class A if—
(a) the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would protrude more than 200 millimetres beyond the plane of the wall or the roof slope when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the wall or roof slope;

A.2. Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions—
(a) solar PV or solar thermal equipment shall, so far as practicable, be sited so as to minimise its effect on the external appearance of the building;
(b) solar PV or solar thermal equipment shall, so far as practicable, be sited so as to minimise its effect on the amenity of the area;

I do have to say, that really will look crap.
Not only will it look awful, the performance would be awful too.
How on earth will you connect that up to an inverter? Your only option would be micro inverters or maybe Solaredge.

Sometimes it is prudent to tell the customer, "Sorry but your house is just not suitable", We maybe could install but it really will not work very well and it will spoil the look of your property.

THANKS FOR YUR COMMENTS, YES I WILL RAISE THESE CONCERNS WITH HIM TOMORROW , THIS IS THE REAR OF HIS PROPERTY WITH NO ADJACENT LOOKING ONO IT. I WAS THINKING A x2 MPPT AURORA POWER ONE, 2 SRINGS OF 8 IF I CAN FIT IN 8 & 8, IF NOT THEN COULD GET COMPLICATED IF I HAVE 3 ON WEST . WHATS YOU TAKE ON FITTNG THEM ON WALL PERFORMANCE WISE

C**p in terms of total output. Just use the latest figures from the MCS Spreadsheets and you'll see for yourself, it's down to the angle of incidence of the sun. As I say above a 15 degree north facing roof will produce more output over the year than a vertical south facing.

In terms of usabilty he'll get the most output from them in the winter when the sun is at a low angle.

presumably this is somewhere near dundee, so vertical would be a lot better there than down south.

we've done vertical mounted solar water heating panels in inverness with the aim of increased autumn, winter, spring production, so if year round production is wanted rather than big peaks in summer then it's not necessarily such a daft idea up there IMO.

Then again, you'll get a lot less output on cloudy days than a roof mounted system, so swings and roundabouts.

eta but as someone's pointed out, I'm not sure it's permitted development on the front wall (different PD regs apply in scotland, so I'm not 100% sure on this).

Does the property have additional space available to mount solar panels like a large rear garden, or garage where solar panels could be ground / roof mounted without excessive shading, installed with Black UPVC Mounting Console & Microinverters? i.e Enphase / SMA with Renusol Console+.

Householder would benefit from repainting outside of their house with a lighter, brighter, fresher colour. Paint similar in colour to the photo below would look good.

Sandtex Textured Masonry Paint Cornish Cream 10L, 5010131502576

Dulux Buttercup Fool 6 equivalent in Weathershield Masonry.
A light bright cream colour with a hint of yellow.
Buy testers and sample paint before choosing final colour.

Last edited:
Sorry hadn't noticed we were in a differnet country :) Up north is slightly more in favour of vertical than down south as GavinA points out, also my comments on permitted development were indeed England specific.

wall mounted panels

Attachments

• IMG-20130325-00019.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20130325-00018.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20130225-00008.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20130325-00020.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 70
aurora power one pv1 3.6 with two mppt, the client has been made aware of shading issues and insisted on fitting them in this location , beleive it or not the wall string is out performing the roof.

Reply to Wall mounting pv panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net