Discuss Wanting to be a Sparky, but don't drive a manual. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Raider

Hi all.

I'm 22, and currently working, although its a dead end job.

Don't get me wrong, its okay and the pay is okay for what I do and it pays the bills, but I've been doing it for about 4 years now and really would like to learn a skill in something.

People have told me to look into plumbing or being a electrician.

At first thought Electrician obviously appeals to me more.

Although one down side I fear, the vehicles, like the vans etc if i'm ever called out to someones house I'm obviously going to need to drive right?

I only drive a automatic car at the moment, would you say that it was imperative for an electircian to have a automatic license?

Your chances of being employed would be reduced so best route would probably be self employed with your own van. Try and pass a manual test as autos tend to be a bit more expensive to run and every penny counts.

Decide what sort of work you want to do ie domestic only or everything, once you have decided that get into your local college cheapest route and also google business link and do one of their free courses on starting your own business.

Good luck

Chris

On a serious note now, years ago when growing up, there was an old fella who lived near to us. He used to do paving, fencing and the like.

Never had a van or car, but would have all his gear in a wheelbarrow. You'd often see him stroling along pushing his barrow stacked full of tools.

Raider
I hear what you are saying so a few pointers here before you start anything do you have the staying power to train up as a spark althogh not just a spark any trade the reason I say this is the guys you will speak to on this forum did not sweep the floor for 4 years then were handed a sparks card and for every 2 guys who make it my guess is 1 did not. So I am not trying to put you of but will advise if you are good at maths this a good starter for 10 stick in and get qualified then great as a sparks card is a door opener for other things ie alarms ,controls , maintenance etc.

its down to you sticking in learning having the self disaplin to go for it and who knows you can change your life or you can make another cup of tea let the text books fall down the back of the sofa and tune in to Corry 3 nights a week. I am not being glib here but this is real life andmost of the guys here on this forum have done their time and make a good living so be willing to learn and listen and if you think thats a pompus BV^7%$£2 then think on this I am a 52 yo spark who is still alive to write this.

Forgot to add if going for your manual instead of a automatic is a problem then sadly you would have fallen at the first fence unless there is a valid reason why you cannot get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should select a career you like and are interested in, not one which you have been told earns a lot of money. The only people saying there is a 'massive skills shortage' and telling you tradesmen earn £50k a year being their own boss, picking and choosing their hours are the media and people wanting to sell you training courses; if you read some of the other posts on this forum you will see a lot of sparks are saying there isn't enough work to go around and they are being undercut by semi-skilled novices (the likes of Dom Littlewood and 'Matt Alwright BBC Rogue Traders' call them "cowboys"). The same happened with IT a few years ago and now everyone is leaving IT and going into the trades, specifically plumbing and electrics.

Not having a manual licence isn't a problem at all, because you can get one - it's like saying you can't be an electrician because you don't own a screwdriver.

which manual do you drive?

one that says how to be a sparky on the front LOL

sorry couldn't resist

but seriously like the guys said don't choose the trade because of the money you may well earn 50k a year but if your self employed only 15k of that is what you'll see in real terms once you've deducted insurance van etc.

As old timer said it can open other doors.

But you've got to be interested in it too many people take jobs for money and not love or interest hence the lack of skills throughout the land in many industries

as agreed with others on the forum you need to have your mind set ready for it! and been scared to drive a manual car / van then you will fail straight away, nothing wrong with automatics but i tend to associate them with lazy people!!! I.E THE YANKS!!!

AMP DAVID

one of my contacts dont drive and ironically he is a landscape gardner/fencer/builder he probably earns more than me with my main job included..! plus he pays wages to subbys/mates!! he relies on buses and his brother whom he shares the business name to get him around..! his brother ironically is a garden maintenance guy, so it goes hand in hand! lol... normally trev quotes the job gets the job and then after job is complete his brother tends to pick up a contract t maintain the garden (aims at the rich list clientel)

The dead end job will get more distasteful as time goes by
Becoming a spark will ensure that for most of your working life,there will be work available to you
It is an occupation that will not desert you overnight
It does have advantages and some dis advanages
The dis advantages would be minimal compared to the dead end job

It can be hard work and needs a certain degree of" living the life of a spark"
It seldom finishes at clocking off time as most other trades do
Go for it,put the effort in and the rewards will come eventually
It is also an occupation that is respected, even if not the highest paid
Get your head into the books and leave the dead end job for another dead end Joe

Hi all.

I'm 22, and currently working, although its a dead end job.

Don't get me wrong, its okay and the pay is okay for what I do and it pays the bills, but I've been doing it for about 4 years now and really would like to learn a skill in something.

People have told me to look into plumbing or being a electrician.

At first thought Electrician obviously appeals to me more.

Although one down side I fear, the vehicles, like the vans etc if i'm ever called out to someones house I'm obviously going to need to drive right?

I only drive a automatic car at the moment, would you say that it was imperative for an electircian to have a automatic license?

Bike
Bus
Lift
do it for cash off a bike with a basket for materials, ringing the bell when arriving will let the owners know to put the kettle on as you've peddled hard to get there

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wanting to be a Sparky, but don't drive a manual. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net