Discuss Washing Machine not on RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Ed Solder

Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum.
I'm installing a new circuit in my bungalow to become approved (probably NIC). On one hand, I'd like to practise and prove all kinds of fancy things . . . on the other, I just need to do it cheaply.
I've plumbed my washing machine into my ex-airing cupboard, where there's no socket (and I believe there shouldn't be, as it's within 3 metres of zone 1 if you run an tape measure around the walls).
My plan is to:
1) cut off the washing machine plug and attach it to a FCU,
2) run the cable in conduit up the wall , then clip to joists in the loft
3) connect to the CU with a 16A MCB.

From what I have worked out from the 17th Ed. book and the OSG, this wouldn't need an RCD.
Does anyone have any opinions on this?

if the wiring is surface, you don't need RCD, as it's not a socket outlet.

However.......has the door been removed from this cupboard to allow free access to the machine? If so, it is now in the bathroom and so should have RCD protection as well as being on an FCU.

Personally I'd put it on an RCBO anyway....it's just a little too close to the bathroom for comfort even if it's not strictly required by regs.

However.......has the door been removed from this cupboard to allow free access to the machine? If so, it is now in the bathroom and so should have RCD protection as well as being on an FCU.

Personally I'd put it on an RCBO anyway....it's just a little too close to the bathroom for comfort even if it's not strictly required by regs.

Has the door been removed from the cupboard? What happens if the bathroom door has been removed!! the sockets in the hallway will potentially be within the zones.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone. The bathroom is on the left of the hall by the front door and the airing cupboard is next on the left, still with a door on it (but with a small hole cut in it so a cat could pass through when I had one).
I thought the 3m rule to do with sockets was to prevent someone sitting in the bath with a hairdryer, which they could do with a 2.5m appliance cable if I put a socket in the airing cupboard and they opened the door.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone. The bathroom is on the left of the hall by the front door and the airing cupboard is next on the left, still with a door on it (but with a small hole cut in it so a cat could pass through when I had one).
I thought the 3m rule to do with sockets was to prevent someone sitting in the bath with a hairdryer, which they could do with a 2.5m appliance cable if I put a socket in the airing cupboard and they opened the door.

the zones are to prevent touching or water splashing on fixed electrical equipment rather than using portable electrical equipment in the bathroom. After all extension leads come in various lengths and common sense in varying degrees

So the airing cupboard isn't in the bathroom at all then? It's off the hallway?
Use an FCU, surface mount cable and no RCD required.

Why on earth are you considering that an airing cupboard next to the bathroom should be considered as anything to do with the bathroom Zones??

Or socket (cutting plugs off appliances can invalidate warranties although op does not say it is under warranty), surface mount cable (in trunking if you want to) and RCD optional.

Last edited:
Yes, it's off the hallway, but within 3m of zone 1.

I think I can get away with an FCU, as the washing machine's long out of warranty. When the time comes to replace it or I move house, I might have to install a socket, which would then need an RCD.

Why on earth are you considering that an airing cupboard next to the bathroom should be considered as anything to do with the bathroom Zones??
Probably imagining defending myself against some very expensive and creative lawyer! That's why I'm valuing your opinions. As well as common sense and understanding the technical side of things, it's useful to discuss things people can intepret different ways.

The 3m Regulation, only applies within a location containing a bath or shower.
Outside of the location, the general Regulations apply.
Do you intend removing any socket-outlets in your property, because they are within 3m of your neighbours bath or shower?

Reply to Washing Machine not on RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net