Discuss Water Heater Timings Help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to get the electric bills down a bit, I wondered why they were so high and have only just found out that the top immersion has been on constantly the last 8 months this has led to a couple of changes...

1. turning top immersion off
2. moving from economy 10 to economy 7 to be able to get a cheaper rate of electricity.

The problem that I have is my water heater still thinks it is on economy 10 and seems to boost in the afternoon and starts earlier in the evening using day rate electric.

I only use water in the evenings so i am trying to get the water to heat on the E7 timings only as the boost in the afternoon is not necessary.

Is there an internal timer that tells it to turn on/off and can this be adjusted or do I need to buy a seperate timer to control this? I just wonder how it knows to turn on/off currently.

Thanks

Matt

file-1.jpeg

Why the change to economy 7 from economy 10?

If you are only using the hot water in the evenings then you'd be better off only heating it during the e10 afternoon boost period.

Thanks for the replies,

Leesparkykent- I think I have an economy 7 board as the storage heaters would run of this too? (there are two fuse boards), the meter is definately set up for E7.

davesparks- I was having difficulty switching companies as no other energy companies would switch to the E10. Based on my energy consumption it has worked out cheaper to switch to E7 (for day rate savings) but I think there is potential to save more just by getting the timings right. In terms of hot water what you say about the afternoon boost makes sense but I would still need to be able to tell the heater to turn on/off for the rest of the time, what would be the way to do this?

Just because an immersion is on, doesn't mean its heating all the time..... the thermostat only "allows" heating when the temperature drops...

What else are you using that is power "hungry" - it may be worth investing in an "owl" or similar to try to determine what is using the power.

If you have a board dedicated to E7 then the lower immersion should be on this board and the higher immersion should be off your normal board as the higher immersion is just a boost to heat the top third of the cylinder.

Reply to Water Heater Timings Help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net