Discuss Water on electronics, no breaker drops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would think the burden of proof for the damage is on him , I think he should have given you the opportunity to inspect it and not secrete it away from the premisses. I may be optimistic though.
Yes, I would expect proof of damage would be required before any claim could be made.
To my mind, the DJ would have to take the equipment to a reputable repairer and get a quote for repair specifying water damage.
To be honest, I would just give the DJ details of your insurers, and let the DJ deal direct with them.

Hey guys, thought I'd give some news as to what has happened after all in case anyone was interested...

The DJ sticks to his claims and has provided signed papers from an electronics repair company for the damages... you can imagine my amusement when I saw that the name under the signature had the same family name as the DJ :D

Anyway, I argued with the DJ saying this is an insurance problem and repeating what my insurance told me (That he has to make a claim to his insurance who will make a claim against mine if there is a legal basis for it). He argued for a long time against that which I didn't understand until... "I don't have insurance"

I ended the conversation there and then. Explained that not only do we have no legal contract together (I rented the space to the final client who hired a event planner, who hired the DJ) but that it's his responsibility to have insurance and I wont pay for him not having one...

In response I received a phone call from his lawyer last night who argued that I was legally obliged to pay (he had a lot of trouble explaining on what contract such responsibility was written since I didn't hire him) and then mistakenly blurted out that he didn't have any contract with anyone since he was hired under the table and didn't even have a company for his business... Probably not the best lawyer :D

So long story short, I don't know if anything was actually damaged and will probably never find out. I expect a few more menacing letters from the lawyer and maybe even a complaint at the police but legally there is nothing they can do since I am not responsible, not bound by any contract and have insurance...

So thanks for everyone's help & everyones suggestions :)
Case closed

Sounds (xcuse the pun) like a good result from your perspective.

@benjish not sure of your laws etc, but in the UK our police would not consider this matter, as it would be classified as a civil matter.
Greek police gets... weirdly involved in virtually anything... and anything they do for / against you results in you having to pay some kind of tax... So if the guy does go to see the cops I'm sure they'll call me in, ask for a deposition, waste half of my day, charge me 50€ in stamp taxes and then put the file aside and tell me to have a good day...

I know it sounds (enjoyed telectrix's pun... had to!) stupid but I'm 99% sure thats what would happen (based on past experiences)

Also total he's asking from me is 9134€... I rented the space 750€ & gave that money back to the final client as compensation for showering their entire party... I literally made no money that evening!

just a point..... who's water pipe is it that caused the problem?. IMO it's their responsibility.

Reply to Water on electronics, no breaker drops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net