Discuss Wd 40 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

lubricating what? which electrical equipment>?

i find it's an excellent lubricant for crap

I like WD40, I find it good for threading instead of Tallow, as its clean, it washes out the shavings from the threads and makes it easier to tighten up end boxes etc and do up the lockrings....I put an old dust rag or sheet of cardboard or something down on the ground under the pipe bender and spray some on, thread a bit, undo it and spray some more on to clean it up, makes a good clean job and no mucky gunge on the threads.....I also use a little when using a holesaw on Galvanised end boxes and back boxes to stop them spinning and to help get a good clean pass through the metal....and its handy in the tool box for when somebodys grips or pipe bender siezes up...

Just buy a new switch,because no matter what you spray on it ,it will still dry out and start to stick again,been there,done it,ended up buying new,saves a lot of hassle.

What is the main ingredient of WD-40 ?

Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is? Don't lie and don't cheat. WD-40. Who knew; I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do.... probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40'. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound.. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you... When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top ... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

WD-40 uses:
1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
5.. Keeps flies off cows.
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8.. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewelry chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly..
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
18. Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers...
22.. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open..
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37. Florida’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites.. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, satur ate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Water Displacement 40 Days.Not allowed in many places as it is highly corrosive to other materials ie Alluminium.
Sorry piggytm, but WD40 is not an acronym for 'Water Displacement 40 Days' this is another internet fuelled myth.
WD40 was invented at the request and specification of what is is now known as the US Department of Defence. They required a light protective film and de-watering agent for the electro-mechanical instrumentation of the Atlas rocket programme of the 1950s, WD40 invented by chemist Norm Larsen is an acronym of sorts for Water Displacement 40th Attempt, according to his laboratory notebook. In UK MOD circles it still referred to as 'Rocket' referring to its adopted use in the Blue Streak and Blue Steel rocket programmes.
Wrong again piggyitm, WD40 is completely safe on aluminium and most other metals.
The other great WD40 myth is that it contains silicone, in fact the original Department of Defence specification expressly prohibited silicon from the formula, hence it has never contained it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As good as WD40 is, there is a far superior product available. Balistol. I bet not many have heard of it. I used to use it when i worked for Coca Cola, its not an electrical cleaner as such but it will do just about anything. I had a mate who bred showdogs and he used it to shine their coats. it is totally harmless if ingested thats why we used it at Coke, it is harmless by contact. It does stink a bit but otherwise its fantastic. Spend a tenner and buy a can you will be impressed.

Cheers...........Howard

I know that wd 40 isnt really the best thing for your cars electrical lub and I cant remeber what is anyone ??
Pict

My missus was hooked on the smell of WD40, when she was pregnant with our first child. She would spray it onto a cloth and inhale the fumes all day... Some how our eldest daughter is an intelligent, well adjusted teenager - although, she does have weird taste in 'male' friends. Eerrmmm???

Reply to Wd 40 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net