Discuss Weird fuse deployment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was doing an EICR today on a bog standard terraced house, and as part of that was checking the fuse ratings in the boiler FCU etc. (always do this as often people can't be bothered to swap out the 13amp fuse). Anyway, found the boiler FCU was fitted with a 1amp fuse, a spur for a built-in computer desk area on the landing was fitted with a 7amp fuse, and a lighting spur in the loft was fitted with a 2amp fuse. The FCU on the landing for the towel rail in the bathroom was fitted with a 10amp fuse. Nothing actually wrong with the ratings as such, but I did find it decidedly non-standard. Anyone else seen this kind of thing?

All kinds of cowboys get involved in stuff, I've found all types of sizes all over the place from standard 13,3,5 etc to the glass bodied 1.25 etc.
Think some people use what they can find if they ever blow.
Best I ever found was a paper clip sure it's been done loads but just outrageous to find it.
However if anyone knows the current carrying capacity of a paper clip please let me know

Lady said the fuses have never been changed since installation. Just don't really see the point of using anything other than 3 or 13! Or occasionally 5. Sorry if nobody cares, just wondered if anyone could explain why this might have been done. It's almost as though someone has tried to match the fuse rating as closely as possible to the current draw expected.

- - - Updated - - -

How thick was it?

How thick was what?

- - - Updated - -
How thick was what?[/QUOTE]

However if anyone knows the current carrying capacity of a paper clip please let me know.

Selective reading or what?

And....................

The fuse protects the cable....................what were their csa's?

or did you miss that as well?

Any reason why you're being a bell? ;)

The CSAs of the cables were not an issue, they were adequately protected by the fuses. If anything, the fuses used were that bit lower in rating than what you'd normally use.

Any reason why you're being a bell? ;)

The CSAs of the cables were not an issue, they were adequately protected by the fuses. If anything, the fuses used were that bit lower in rating than what you'd normally use.

You started talking ****e I just joined in mate to keep you company!.
The csa's of the cables are an issue if they are rated 'less' than the ocpd............hence my question!!

If,as you now state,they are not an issue..............why ask in the first place?
Won't respond again.............good luck mate.

I didn't ask anything about cable CSAs or even mention them (that was you), I was asking about the fuse ratings themselves and if anyone had encountered them.

Seems to me you are the one with 'selective reading' or at the very least some kind of attitude disorder. ;)

I didn't ask anything about cable CSAs or even mention them (that was you), I was asking about the fuse ratings themselves and if anyone had encountered them.

I know you didn't but if you look 'outside the box' you'll see that as long as the fuse rating is below the ccc of the cable you'll probs be fine...........hence my question.
Which was................why be bothered about the fuse ratings if the cable ccc is ok.
The fuse protects the cable not the appliance.
But you know that already.

Ok third party stepping in from neutral side.

44allan u mention csa's first.

I think ops original statement/question is just whether anyone has come across non standard/uncommon fuses being used.

I know you didn't but if you look 'outside the box' you'll see that as long as the fuse rating is below the ccc of the cable you'll probs be fine...........hence my question.
Which was................why be bothered about the fuse ratings if the cable ccc is ok.
The fuse protects the cable not the appliance.
But you know that already.

I know what you mean, but I was simply asking, out of general interest, if anyone has encountered 1, 2, 7 and 10 amp fuses in a domestic setting. Nothing more, nothing less. If, in your view, that is not an interesting topic, then feel free not to comment, but please don't have a go at me just for asking. I fully understand what fuses are for in a plugtop or FCU, and I understand the relationship between the CCC of the cable and the fuse rating, and that is not what I was asking about. If you read back, you did indeed seem to turn rather unpleasant for seemingly (to me at least) no reason.

Anyway, as the use of (to me) strange fuse ratings is seemingly of no interest to you, let's just leave it at that.

I apologise for any offence I have caused, and hope there are no hard feelings (there certainly aren't on my part).

Phew.

If you read back, you did indeed seem to turn rather unpleasant for seemingly (to me at least) no reason.

Where?

Posts 6 and 7. Whilst not directly offensive, they have a tone that would turn milk sour. But, it's all water under the bridge now.

So, anyway, have you ever seen the fuses I mentioned?

Ok third party stepping in from neutral side.

44allan u mention csa's first.

I think ops original statement/question is just whether anyone has come across non standard/uncommon fuses being used.

Hi Kate:)

Yes I did mention csa's of the cables in response to his opening post about fuse sizes.
Please read it again and tell me if you find any problems with the fuse sizes he mentioned and the circuits they were protecting.

Would you give advice on fuse sizes without knowing the csa of the cables they were protecting?
I wouldn't hence my question that has been blown...................blah blah

Posts 6 and 7. Whilst not directly offensive, they have a tone that would turn milk sour. But, it's all water under the bridge now.

You'll find that was in response to post 3 by dizzy about the ccc of a paperclip in which i responded...........how thick is it?
Wasn't even talking to you mate hence my 'selective reading' tic (tongue in cheek) post:)
Nevamind though its obvious I misunderstood your post/question about fuse sizes so apologies if I've offended.

Thank god for that all friends again :)

Reply to Weird fuse deployment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net