Discuss Welding equipment - DNO permission? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it's still the case that if a customer wishes to have a supply installed for a welder in their home that they need specific permission from the DNO? Struggling to find an answer on Google.

I've had Stick, Mig, Tig welders and plasma cutter, in various forms all Diy spec, for over 30yrs, in the U.K first I've heard of it.
Maybe different in Ireland.

When I worked for a DNO we did have a couple of issues with welders but only fairly large industrial ones fed by OHL. If you have a decent supply and it works, the DNO probably wont be bothered unless you give voltage problems to your neighbors.

180A arc welder used to cause a noticeable flicker with incandescent lamps in our property, but I've not noticed the same with fluorescent or LED, so now a historical problem only.

180A arc welder used to cause a noticeable flicker with incandescent lamps in our property, but I've not noticed the same with fluorescent or LED, so now a historical problem only.
It is really not something I know that much about, but I get the impression most folks buying a "welder" now are smaller MIG/TIG style devices with thin wire and (presumably) significantly lower current / power involved. So might also be less of an issue for domestic work at both ends of the problem?

I have heard that they have banned the sale of new transformer-based machines from the beginning of the year. Apparently a European directive and we have followed suit. Only inverter based welders from now on.

The larger of the single phase welders will need a 16A or 32A socket setup though.

Reply to Welding equipment - DNO permission? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net