Discuss Wetroom Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was hoping someone could offer some advice as I cant access my Regs book at the moment( bloody online digital version.....don't recommend this to anyone by the way!!).

Rewiring house/home salon at the moment and have one issue regarding power to a wetroom. Originally I was under the impression this room was to be a shower room with seperate shower cubicle with screen etc and was asked to get power in there so customer could use spray tan gun. So I've wired for external fused spur to what was going to be flex outlet in the far corner from shower head in what would have been outside zones.
Then realised that its now a wetroom with no screen so my understanding is the room is now all zone 1 effectively. So Not comfortable with having even flex outlet in there. So spoke to customer and suggested that we might be able to put it in a lockable cupboard and sit the spray gun on a shelf within the cupboard. Then she dropped down the spray gun for me to have a look and realised it has a plug so said I'd probably have to cut of the plug so to hard wire into flex outlet, "no cant do that as I need to have option of using it in other rooms"

So now we're left with the idea of having a socket in this cupboard (which I'm not comfortable with at all) or with a bit of work moving the socket into another cupboard under stairs which backs onto wetroom and she'd have to find a way of trailing the spray gun into room herself. I should point out that currently the back box and cable for flex outlet have been tiled over at the moment but i do know exactly where it is though.

This is the gun Fake Bake Spray Tanning System PEB-L2
it has no IP rating from what I can tell but it is double insulated.

I'm not sure If putting a socket in a lockable cupboard is acceptable or just taking the **** a bit, especially if she's then going to probably be carrying this thing about in the wetroom spraying people with electrical lead laying across the floor.

Not sure what others would do in this situation? any advice would be appreciated.
cheers

How big is the room, a socket can not be mounted within 3m of zone 1 and in a wet room zone 1 is 1.2m from the shower head. So your going to need to get the socket at least 4.2m from the shower head.

The photo in the link is pretty useless, but the description says 2m power cable and hose. Also 'quick release hose'. Any chance of putting the electrical part outside the room and running the hose inside? Possibly with an extended hose? Maybe speak to the manufacturer to see if a longer hose is an option?

I think this is the same item:
PEB-L2 Spray Tan Package - Fake Bake Professional
So just a HVLP spray gun. 2.8m hose on this spec.

How big is the room, a socket can not be mounted within 3m of zone 1 and in a wet room zone 1 is 1.2m from the shower head. So your going to need to get the socket at least 4.2m from the shower head.

The room is about 3mx3m so a socket would be too close to the shower head but didn't know if putting it in a loackable cupboard would be some kind of loop hole. I'd rather not even do this. I want to put extend the cable and put a socket in the adjacent cupboard but just weighing up my options really.

cheers.

To be honest I don't do a lot of domestic bathroom as such, but not sure the whole room would be Zone 1. Dosen't figure (e) cover a wet room and therefore the zones applicable.

Maybe wrong and if I'am ......sorry

To be honest I don't do a lot of domestic bathroom as such, but not sure the whole room would be Zone 1. Dosen't figure (e) cover a wet room and therefore the zones applicable.

Maybe wrong and if I'am ......sorry

The whole room is not zone 1 but it is larger and there is no zone 2.
A socket can not be fitted within 3m of zone 1. So in this instance with a 3x3 room I'd say that you cannot install a socket.

Hi dude,not obvious in first post,but is this equipment for the customers' own,private use,or is it a business/commercial situation?

This would affect any final arrangement,and instruction of person(s) anticipated to be using this kit...

...And why don't gals use gravy-browning anymore?

The whole room is not zone 1 but it is larger and there is no zone 2.
A socket can not be fitted within 3m of zone 1. So in this instance with a 3x3 room I'd say that you cannot install a socket.

Agree andy but the OP was saying that he thought that would make the whole room a zone 1 and was not happy fitting even a flex outlet anywhere in it.

As I said I maybe wrong but it would only be zone 1 within 1.2 mt of the fixed head. So fitting a flex outlet after that distance would be fine as long as the outlet provided the proper IP protection

Doubt believe it, but just spent a few minutes looking at this product. Looks as if there's a tent the 'sprayee' has to stand in, I suppose otherwise, the wet room becomes 'tanned' as well. As others have said, your not going to be able to fit a socket in the wet room, but by the time they've put up the tent and positioned the sprayer, it would probably be more usable if the sprayer was plugged into a socket in the adjoining room. My wife constantly does something similar when using her hair dryer. Albeit, they will be in bare feet using the sprayer (stood in tent), they will not be using the shower at the same time, I think! Tell her she can't have a socket in there, and sell her this other option. What people spend their money on!

Last edited:
Fit a socket outside the wetroom door and tell the customer that what they do with extension leads etc is their business but that you can't install a socket within the location. That's your rear end covered, and possibly tanned.

I believe a thread came up last year where some argued that within a cupboard was technically outside the location, but not in my opinion.

Agree andy but the OP was saying that he thought that would make the whole room a zone 1 and was not happy fitting even a flex outlet anywhere in it.

As I said I maybe wrong but it would only be zone 1 within 1.2 mt of the fixed head. So fitting a flex outlet after that distance would be fine as long as the outlet provided the proper IP protection
Flex outlet is for fixed equipment, and the client wants to use the sprayer elsewhere in the house anyway. Perhaps to respray her car a nice brown colour!

Hi dude,not obvious in first post,but is this equipment for the customers' own,private use,or is it a business/commercial situation?

This would affect any final arrangement,and instruction of person(s) anticipated to be using this kit...

...And why don't gals use gravy-browning anymore?

Well.....this is the other brilliant thing about this job. As far as building control are concerned this wetroom is Domestic only and not to be used as a commercial premises but the client is intent on using it to provide customers with spray tans in there.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to wire the socket into the cupboard under the stairs instead and let her trail the tan gun in there if that's what she wants!

cheers

Reply to Wetroom Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net