Discuss What BSEN numbers for these breakers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone shed some light on the BSEN numbers for the breakers shown on the picture. Many thanks.

clip_image002.jpg

Rule of thumb is if it's old with a Type number it's a 3871 if it's newer with a Type letter it's a 60898.

e.g. Type 1 and 2 = 3871 , Type B, C, D = 60898.

Also if it's rated at 5A, 15A or 30A it's generally a 3871 as the newer 60898s are rated at 6A, 16A or 32A. No idea why they upped the rating slightly on the newer breakers though.

No idea why they upped the rating slightly on the newer breakers though.

think it was originally to try and make the protection as near to that of the fuses they replaced, as MCBs are quicker reacting than fuses.

Which ever they are, they want binning ASAP.
They are magnetic/hydraulic where as modern breakers are thermo/magnetic. Not very sensitive to prolonged low-level overload.

E54 will probably give more details.

They look like the DS breakers, based on the USA design. They were out and out crap when they were first introduced and are still crap today!! They don't give a very close protection, better than a rewireable fuse but not that much better!! lol!! The old C50 breakers are not much different either!! These CU's and the breakers need binning whenever possible and replacing with up to date equipement!!

The reason for the 6/ 16/ 32A etc values over the old 5/ 15/ 30A etc values, is purely for our old friend ''harmonisation''...

they are Dorman LM and as E54 says they should be BINNED i have in the past argued that "live exposed parts" only to have " by use of tool " throw that argument out these dbs are downright dangerous and IMHO should be replaced ASAP that argument aside they do comply but Zs are guff and this gives reason for replacement more that acctual physical construction

The Zs is high because they are type 3 or 4, totally unsuitable for domestic use in most circumstances!! Add to this a course sensitivity compared with the more modern MCB's and you have even more reason to get shot of them!! lol!!

Reply to What BSEN numbers for these breakers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net