Discuss What contactor size for a 9kw electric boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

my contactor experience mainly comes from lighting controls, but the theory remains the same

a contactor just held in place by the cables it supplies which are not themselves secured could lead to loose connections, but like you say chint is a pile of crap so could just as easily be the contactor itself, i wouldnt fit a new contactor without sorting out the mess though

I wasn't arguing your theory elsparko and it is quite possible for the reasons you raise, I was just saying that the install (viewable in the upload) should be scrapped and started again but of course the customer will be given the option he does this or walks... I meant the whole mess too in the picture not just the contactor which I explained earlier.

I've contacted the agent in the meantime and spelled out the issues. I agree rather chop it all out and start again with the components designed for the system I.e a new main control board and capillary thermostat to start with.

The action of the contactor in this instance is retrofitted together with the timer and crude wiring.
Best do it properly.

Thanks all for you advice

Looked up that contactor - advertised as 9A rated - so not tooo good for 3kW loads :eek:

IMG_1087.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all.
Don't have much experience on this topic.

Called to a job with an electric boiler. It has a dedicated 10mm supply from a 50A MCB. I narrowed down the fault the the contactor which was only feedig 1 of tge 3 elements and had scorching marks around the other 2 terminals. And is currently a 20A. The boiler has 3 x 3kw elements.
My query is surely the 20A is insufficient for the 9kw load from the elements and shouldn't I fit a 40A contactor in it's place.

Thanks

Oops - just read the rest of the advert, that's the AC3 rating that's 9A. The AC1 is quoted as 20A, but they don't say how many operations it's good for :)

Last edited:
you can't blame Chint for the installer fitting an under rated contactor. I've installed a few Chint CUs, and 1 3 phase board. been in for 10 years with no problems.

@telectrix was referring to there contactors, if you can get one for 7-quid it says a lot for the quality of it tbh, I talk from experience with them, I have faulted and stripped enough out to to give them a low rating, they are also crap at handling faults so would never put one on elements which tend to go with a bang... now that I realise the OP has a 4kw version then looking at other low end budget range like lovato you are still looking at twice that cost and about 20 -30 quid for a mid range while a high end would cost 40-100 ish but probably a mid range would be fine for this job imho.
Chint is a Chinese group which is actually about 4th largest in the world in its placement, it mainly does transmission gear HV/MV and LV but they also flood the world with mass produced budget/cheap stuff and like I said before, you get what you pay for, I don't argue that you may have had no issues as the mcbs have to meet the same standards but its the quality and build of the consumer units that turn me away, you can now get better more rigid solid constructed equivalent boards for similar prices and given my experience with the contactors I simply wouldn't have peace of mind fitting one regardless of them doing exactly what it says on the tin.

Wouldn't touch Chint for any product as I like to maintain standards. Contactors I would be looking at Schneider or ABB.

Reply to What contactor size for a 9kw electric boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net