Discuss what do i do now! middlesbrough in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damian Robinson

hey everyone, this is my first post, i will be monitoring this website in the hopes that someone can help me out.

im 26, just re attended college and completed 2365 level 3 electrical installation.
at 17 i went to college and did the 2330 lvl 2

ive been looking all over the place and im struggling so much to find work to complete the next step of my training, people only want approved electricians and while theyre looking for that theyre not willing to train me, or at least thats the general outlook im finding.

iv signed up with jtl, ive looked into the ecs card, but what one should i get, is it going to be a waste of time and money (bearing in mind i self funded the 2365) if no one will hire me.

im still in half a mind as to what role exactly im applying for. you know the wost thing is my dad is an electrician but he gives me every reason under the sun not to help. so rather than be mad about that(spent enough time being mad tbh) iv decided to do it myself, but without professional guidance i genuinely feel like im banging my head against a brick wall..

i really want to learn and progress my skills further. any advice at all would be welcomed..

thanks for taking the time to read this

look for jobs as electricians mate to build up your practical experience. ( and to earn as well). take photos of yourself doing various tasks which will help you to build a nvq3 portfolio.

Normally if your dad is an electrician he would get you a job and guide you through the NVQ so all you would have to do is be there, but it sounds like that is not the case here.

If you are registered on a training course and have a 'sponsor' (someone to sign to vouch for you as a trainee) you can get a JIB 'trainee' card which is valid for 2 years, otherwise you'd be looking at getting an 'ancillary operative' (labourer) card which will get you on site as a 'mate' until you can complete your NVQ3.

Not many companies will employ a 'mate' on the cards so you might be looking at doing agency work for the time being.

hey guys thanks for your quick replies,

to telectrix, thanks mate, i have been applying for roles as electricians mate, havnt heard anything yet, but ill attempt to remain optimistic.

to adam, yeah my dad just says it wouldnt be worthwhile nd that he cant pay me, etc etc, excuses really, its cos he got let down by my cousin almost a decade ago. i know it would have been much more streamlined if hed just take me on, i know the govornment would supsidise his training me, but really its like flogging a dead horse mate. he would however, act as a sponsor if it didnt require any responsibility at all i imagine, how would i go about doing that?

i do have a cscs card. its only a general labourer one but it has got me on site before, it that time i did attempt to speak to electricins on board but they give me the whole subcontract malarky and then i stilll end up at the same result.. stuck.

thanks very much for your advice gents, no one ever said it would be easy, but after 2 years of college and countless letter phonecalls emails etc, im still unemployed struggling to pay the rent lol. i just wish i knew someone else who was willing to take me on.

try signing up to indeed, jobrapido, and trovit jobs. you'll get daily emails of jobs in your area from them. ( it's all free). also agencies like gap, reed, rullion etc.

Reply to what do i do now! middlesbrough in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net