Discuss What is the Worst Excuse You've had for Late Payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
We should get a few good story's from us Domestic and commercial lads?

A property developer that I've done works for before with no problems called me the other week, did 2 small jobs for him and expected payment straight away just like all the previous times.

The owner met up with me so I could hand over two sets of keys for the offices I just worked on, asked him to transfer the payment as per normal. He now has a new e-mail address but cant remember the address???? No business cards on him???? Company in a new name???? My previous e-mailed invoices are with the accountant????

I gave him my email address on a bit of paper 4 days ago. Text message tonight.... "the bit of paper blow away in the wind, can you text me it?"

Do you think he is playing for time lol.

I'm sure we have a few tails to tell? Just keep them clean :wink:

I haven't been going for that long Paul so don't have many stories yet.. however I've just finished my biggest job to date and was owed £3000.

The chap was rich and hadn't paid after 10 days (my invoice states to pay within 7 days). I casually mentioned it when I saw him and he just replied that he thought he had already paid it (and he genuinely meant it)!

I see £3000 as a huge amount, he sees it as a drop in the ocean almost to be forgotten :smile5:

Still took him another 4 days to contact me and pay though.

my invoice states to pay within 7 days).

That doesn't matter, what matters is the payment terms you agreed in writing before you started work. Either by them accepting your standard terms and conditions or by a contract drawn up for this specific job. Without it he really could pay whenever he feels like it and withhold as much as he wants etc etc

If there is ONE THING the new Government could do, that is to make 30 dates nett the mandatory MAXIMUM payment allowed in the UK.

They also need to review year end accountancy rules so that outstanding payments are deducted from profits so companies can't gain from non payment.

apparently some of the food retailers now are asking for 90 days -WTF

I see £3000 as a huge amount, he sees it as a drop in the ocean almost to be forgotten :smile5:

£3000 is a good amount of money for most people mate.

On the opposite side, I've been paid twice by a wealthy gentleman. £1800 re-wire of a Granny house, handed him a printed invoice and gave it to him with the cert. By the time I drove home the money was in the bank. Later that night me and Mrs M went out for a meal, went to the cash point, checked balance whilst taking money out and there was another £1800 extra in my account!!! The fool got a bit drunk that evening, saw my invoice whilst doing his books and paid me again :rofl: Refunded it the following morning, the phone call to him was hilarious! He gave me a very nice bottle of wine as a thank you :smile: I got a few more jobs via him due to it :wink:

...Go on then,i'll tell you a story about payment excuses...A fair while ago,i was doing some work for a well known plant hire firm (no need to name),and always had a task in hand...the manager,lovely bloke,ex-rugby league star...told me he was leaving,to work as a rep,for a big Diamond disc manufacturer.

His first site visit was to a large company,he felt unwell,went to the loo,had a massive heart attack,and died. I was quite upset,real straight fella.

Anywho...i eventually ends up back at plant firm,to introduce myself to new manager,and to chase up what was owed....

Most of what i do is on,what would have been described years ago,as the "honour" system... a mans' word etc

The new fella tells me "...if you had an arrangement with Lxxxx,i am afraid it died with him..."

I was quite shocked,and asked him to think about it,and, if he was absolutely sure,then could he repeat the sentence,which he did.

I then said to his face,politely,that he had no need to contact me again,unless to apologise,which he replied "I don't think so..."

...Now one of the most important parts of the plant hire job,is stock control,knowing what you have,where it is,and what it owes...

....And for whatever reason,he NEVER contacted me,regarding the 6 month old 17kVa Genset,i had repaired for them,sitting in my yard.

Penny wise,pound foolish,as the saying goes...:yes:

Reply to What is the Worst Excuse You've had for Late Payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net