Discuss What kind of drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have now deasided to by a second cordless drill that is light climbing up ladders
And put up lights and the odd thing, I have a makita 14.4v drill had for years. So lads what do you use. I might go for a makita 10 volt one.

I had a little 10v ? Makita twin pack Impact driver and drill.

Nothing wrong with it for what you are looking for.

Not enough grunt in the drill for much else but the impact driver was great.

I had the bosch 10.8/12v set both were very good....but in the end I bought drill bits that fit me dewalt impact so just use that and them all the time..

Last edited:
Aldi 18V SDS. more than enough grunt for drilling and plugging, and @ £49.99, lightweight and not too many tears if dropped off a ladder

Can't fault Makita 10.8/12v gear. The newer CXT, slide battery system is generally the better choice but, as previously mentioned, some of the early drills didn't deliver a lot of torque (HP331 would be the most common culprit), but there are now better drills in the range.

I have 10.8v combi drill, impact driver, multi tool and mini circular saw and they're used far more often than the 18v versions. Also have a brushless rotary hammer from that range and it'll drill 6-10mm all day long in masonry, without issue - no use for chiseling though.

Drill and driver work comfortably on the little 2Ah batteries, but other tools will eat through power quickly, so it's worth having a few extras or 4Ah batteries if you decide to expand and buy more tools. There are a few deals to be had, but in general power tools seem to have increased a bit in price of late :(

I've got a Dewalt 10.8 volt drill and impact driver set, very good bit of kit for their size.

I think this is the range YouTube spark Thomas Nagy uses And did a review on them a while ago , look really nice bit of kit
I'm really pleased with them. Got a drill, impact driver and sds. Sds is inly good for up to 10m which is fine with me and none has as much punch as 18v but really handy, lightweight and small enough that I can carry them around jobs with me.

I have the bosch 10.8v actually the whole lot and all have been excellent. Had some of them over 10years and all are fine had at least 3 sets of batteries in that time! And I have also the 18v sds that @telectrix mentioned also and is excellent for a few holes atop a ladder!
Sy

I'm really pleased with them. Got a drill, impact driver and sds. Sds is inly good for up to 10m which is fine with me and none has as much punch as 18v but really handy, lightweight and small enough that I can carry them around jobs with me.

10.8/12V SDS drills are incredible for their size these days - so much so that I replaced my busted 18V SDS with a dual battery model (Makita). The little drill does so much that I saw no point in worrying about size and weight on the big one, so went for something with a bit more grunt.

I’ve got me own scaffold, tel.... don’t need to hire it.

but that’s what H&S say isn’t it? Access only? (Over a certain height)

window cleaners get away with it anyway

Reply to What kind of drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net