Discuss What the funniest/cringeworthy things you've seen someone do on site ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Evening Mr Bod.

How many plumbers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, because on 65 grand a year they can pay someone else to do it :)

I watched an electrician drill a live busbar when I was an apprentice, sounds like I am lying but I swear it happened and he didn't even flinch, he knew what he was doing and had done it before, we were working on a factory machine which needed power and we could not switch off the power at all as it was running 24-7, this was around 1980 ish, I have never forgot it.

When I just started my apprenticeship the spark I was working with was a big fan of the licked finger, live test. :shocked:

I once couldn't find a breaker to isolate and strip out an old switch fuse in a forgotten plant room in a hospital building. It could have been any one of hundreds, only about 20% were marked up, but I couldn't go switching off Willy nilly. Computers with hospital records, server rooms, x ray equipment etc.
My colleague told me to stop titting around, held a 6 inch nail in his pliers, and jammed it to a dead short. One flash and a bang later and we had our circuit isolated.

A guy in my work has a set of "bang bang snips" if he doesn't know or can't figure out what circuit to isolate he cuts threw the cables to make it blow.

Not long into starting working with the company we were working in an office full of women. Mostly middle aged, they gossiping and dropping a few s-bombs and f-bombs as they were doing it.

Anyway the gaffer goes through the door, I gingerly followed and immediately the birds stop tweeting and one apologised for swearing.

I piped up and just came out with

"At least you didn't say c-bomb"

After the initial gasps, the silence was absolutely deafening, I just walked back out the door and cringed for the rest of the day.

Reply to What the funniest/cringeworthy things you've seen someone do on site ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net