• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What would you code these as? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all.

I have just finised an EICR on a new extension. The previous electrician cannot be contacted.

The work was pretty shoddy. No identification sleeving on cables where needed including some earths. The 3 possible codes are as follows:

1. 1mm line conductor in the 6A MCB was loose due to being in with a 1.5mm and also 2.5mm conductor. I have made sure the termination is now tight but I really dont like the thought of 3 differing size conductors in the same MCB. I never do this as it is likely the smallest one will at some point not be well terminated. ?C2

2. Single socket for the fridge hidden in cupboard next to fridge, which is fine, however it is attached to the really flimsy wobbly bit of board on the back of the units. (You know the stuff, more like cardboard than wood). It is already loose. ?C2

3. Integrated LED downlights completely covered in insulation. Im not sure about this one. Its shoddy, but as they are integrated the lamp cannot be changed for a halogen so perhaps a C3 or no code? It would be a C2 if not integrated.

Cheers all.

Evening all.

I have just finised an EICR on a new extension. The previous electrician cannot be contacted.

The work was pretty shoddy. No identification sleeving on cables where needed including some earths. The 3 possible codes are as follows:

1. 1mm line conductor in the 6A MCB was loose due to being in with a 1.5mm and also 2.5mm conductor. I have made sure the termination is now tight but I really dont like the thought of 3 differing size conductors in the same MCB. I never do this as it is likely the smallest one will at some point not be well terminated. ?C2

2. Single socket for the fridge hidden in cupboard next to fridge, which is fine, however it is attached to the really flimsy wobbly bit of board on the back of the units. (You know the stuff, more like cardboard than wood). It is already loose. ?C2

3. Integrated LED downlights completely covered in insulation. Im not sure about this one. Its shoddy, but as they are integrated the lamp cannot be changed for a halogen so perhaps a C3 or no code? It would be a C2 if not integrated.

Cheers all.
In response to above...
1) I’m not a fan of multiple circuits in an mcb, do you know what they are feeding? , I would double over 1mm and make sure they are all secure as you said you’ve done, put it down as C3 recommending circuits be split on to separate mcbs

2)C3 unless it’s getting used to plug and unplug regularly

3)If they are led a C3, halogens then there’s a greater risk of fire so C2

do you think an "electrician" would have put 3 different sized cables in 1 mcb?.... its all to common for the original "electrician" to be un contactable... usually the homeowner or builder!

1. two sizes is bad enough but three?
The loose connection would be a C2 I feel but as it was resolved at the time then just a recommendation to at least have the same size conductors (why does any one want 2.5mm² on a 6A MCB in a domestic residence).
2. Not likely to be disturbed another comment on poor insulation and recommendation for support of the socket.
3. C3 risk of failure of the fitting, not overly likely to cause fire as the fitting will overheat and fail first (probably!)

If that is all you have to code then it is in a good state!

Most common things I find are
Lack of circuit chart information and circuits vulnerable to testing.
Poor inadequate labelling of circuits
No label for mixed wiring
No safety electrical connection on earth clamps
No rcd test labels

No codes on any!
Yes you are being overcautious, its an eicr not eic so your there to test its safe not to sign it off as your own, nothing wrong with recommendations but to give and installation an unsatisfactory for theese minor issues would be incorrect imo.

Reply to What would you code these as? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back