Discuss What would you do in an instance like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doesn't sound undersized, why does the DB need supplementary bonding?

No, the adiabatic equation can be used for any cable size. I think you are confusing this with the other method of selecting CPC size which allows a reduced CPC size above 16mm.
The 6mm is the main bond, the water and gas go back to the db in question in 10mm, then there’s a 6mm (contained in the twin and earth) around 40 metres, from the db back to the cutout.

Table 54.7 basically requires that anything with a line conductor up to 16mm Requires the same sized earthing conductor also.

The 6mm is the main bond, the water and gas go back to the db in question in 10mm, then there’s a 6mm (contained in the twin and earth) around 40 metres, from the db back to the cutout.

In that case I see the issue, i didn't when you said supplementary bonding as that's not what that is.

Table 54.7 basically requires that anything with a line conductor up to 16mm Requires the same sized earthing conductor also.

Yes, but the adiabatic equation is an alternative to using table 54.7 and can be used for any size cable.
You do not have to use that table, you can calculate CPC size for any circuit.

I would agree with the others on invoicing for what has been done, getting paid and leaving it at that. Their demands are entirely unreasonable and would be difficult for them to enforce without a written contract. As for being green, there are many difficult people in life and it will not be the last you encounter, but you get to know people you want to deal with and those who you don’t.

It's right to invoice for work carried out.
I'm presuming this is an empty premises. Whatever, the main loser is the client. A house standing empty isn't exactly good for the owner, from an economic point of view.
Do they want the job done or what? Let 'em squirm.

“the ex husband has wired it all, he’s an electrician and it’s just a second fix to complete and test”

At this point, most experienced electricians would of had the hairs on the back of their neck stand up and they make their excuses and walk away at the first polite opportunity!

The previous electrician who was ‘too busy’ to do the job obviously felt the same

The main thing to take away from this is to learn by it for the future, try to get paid for your work, you may or may not get the money owed to you, but definitely learn from it!

There is so much work out there, let stuff like this be someone else‘s problem, be the electrician who is ‘too busy’ in the future

(been qualified a few years but I’m trying to pick up the courage to go it alone, this saga as a whole hasn’t helped that one bit 😂).

Dont let it discourage you, it’s a lesson every single one of us has to learn sooner or later, being naturally friendly and trying to help people and expect that others intentions are the same as yours is just human, but realise unfortunately not everyone is the same as you, again learn from it, and you’ll be better prepared next time around and hopefully won’t make the same mistake again

All part of the bumpy road to success

Last edited:
How much time and material have you spent on the job so far?
I would ask for this now and carefully think how much it will cost to finish the job, double or triple this cost.
Explain the the customer in the simplest terms what is required to do the job correctly and the cost, let them know if they are not happy with this unexpected cost, you can recommend other electricians who can quote for the work(you wont, but it gives them an easy way out and encourages them to settle you invoice).

Then take the money and run.

Thank you all for the kind and honest replies.

It’s a life lesson I’ll keep with me for a very long time. There’s so much rapport regarding bad tradesmen and tradesmen who don’t complete jobs fully or to an expected standard but there’s also never any feedback on how potential customers actually behave and treat said tradesmen.

Either way Never going back and never looking back. Thanks again 👍🏻

Reply to What would you do in an instance like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net