Discuss Which conduit ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I use NYY pretty much exclusively for outdoor wiring unless there is a specific reason I need to use SWA. We're currently rewiring three outdoor gantry cranes at a local steelworks and except for the festoon cables for the crabs we're using NYY throughout with the odd bit of YY thrown in for good measure.

Damian, who specified the use of NYY for use on cranes?
Hope it wasn’t you, I’d be making you take the lot out. They will fail due to vibration after a while. I’ve loss count of the cranes I’ve worked on, every one used flexibles.

Damian, who specified the use of NYY for use on cranes?
Hope it wasn’t you, I’d be making you take the lot out. They will fail due to vibration after a while. I’ve loss count of the cranes I’ve worked on, every one used flexibles.

Don't worry Tony, there's not a single solid core on board, it's all stranded lol. It's Demag that send most of the stuff down.

Demag? You have my sympathy!

I hated them. If it’s possible to over complicate something, they will. We had quite a few, the worse were the four tandem units. One end would lift, the other stopped where it was.

I'll try and find a photo of the tandem units. They were a pain in the arse.

Never a day would go by without one packing up. They were fed off a 8 way EE red spot board. 7 ways for the various track sections. There was always two boxes of 63A in the bottom of the board. They could change tracks via two traversing beams. One of the track ways even went around two corners, so the units had to pivot.

It was a crazy system, we were stuck with it!

Sorry can't find the picture I was thinking of.

Give me one of these any day. If you can't fix it with a hammer, get a bigger hammer.

Welman 170+40+10 Ton. Three hoists, two cross travels. The smaller 40+10 cross travel could pass under the 170T. and to make it more fun, there's two cranes on the same track. And it happened more than once, two cranes colliding. With each weighing in at 175 tons, it was one hell of a crash.
I was involved in one. I’d got 40T on the hook, the other 70T. 460 Tons head on, thank god we were both travelling slowly, they could shift on full notch. We still managed to bend the OLEO buffers up at 45°

IMG_5731_zps2b0484ff.jpg

Sorry can't find the picture I was thinking of.

Give me one of these any day. If you can't fix it with a hammer, get a bigger hammer.

Welman 170+40+10 Ton. Three hoists, two cross travels. The smaller 40+10 cross travel could pass under the 170T. and to make it more fun, there's two cranes on the same track. And it happened more than once, two cranes colliding. With each weighing in at 175 tons, it was one hell of a crash.
I was involved in one. I’d got 40T on the hook, the other 70T. 460 Tons head on, thank god we were both travelling slowly, they could shift on full notch. We still managed to bend the OLEO buffers up at 45°

IMG_5731_zps2b0484ff.jpg

id really like to be involved in something like that. except for 16mm the biggest cable we usually use is 1mm or sometimes 1.5

Yeah that's a beast! At least you were indoors though when working on those. I'm up doing high level disconnects in gale force winds and rain so hard and so painful I just want to cry! lol

Anyway, where are the collision prevention sensors on that bad boy? Surely those would have prevented such carnage?!

We tried anti collision to slam the brakes on, that didn’t work. They just lumbered on, the four 24” Igranic brakes would stop them eventually!
I got landed with the project. I gave it up as a bad job.
The only way to stop them in a hurry was to full reverse the LT motors. Four 60HP motors slammed in to full reverse while travelling forward and the 800A ACB tripped. The main problem though, they had to buffer up for some lifts.

Reply to Which conduit ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net