Discuss Which is a better area to get in for an apprentice for future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SparkyWoolford

Hi everyone,

I am an apprenticeship i recentley started actualy, I am enjoying it (apart from college) and I am already thinking about the future. I need some opinions and help on what to do in the future

I was wondering which area to go into, commercial and industrial contracts or domestic work. I will be working independent by then and was wondering which one is better/more profitable.

Also to anyone who has there own buisness how hard is it? And is it profitable?

Thanks lads

Ideally It'd be best if you found yourself a good company who did a mix of all works that way you get a broad range of experience, From what I've found when I was looking for work is that industrial seems to pay best, Although as an apprentice that's probably not going to affect you. I served my apprenticeship for a commercial/industrial company, and learned much more than someone who just does domestic installs all the time.

. I will be working independent by then and was wondering which one is better/more profitable.

Also to anyone who has there own business how hard is it? And is it profitable?

Thanks lads

You won't survive working in Commercial / Industrial on your own as a start up.
The financial outlay and risk are far too high.
You'll struggle to get decent work as a new business.

If you want to end up with your own Commercial / Industrial business you'll need to work for someone in those areas for a while to gain a good variety of experience, then start up in Domestic and gradually spread into Com /Ind.

Hi everyone,

I am an apprenticeship i recentley started actualy, I am enjoying it (apart from college) and I am already thinking about the future. I need some opinions and help on what to do in the future

I was wondering which area to go into, commercial and industrial contracts or domestic work. I will be working independent by then and was wondering which one is better/more profitable.

Also to anyone who has there own buisness how hard is it? And is it profitable?

Thanks lads

Hi dude,the answer to that,is it can be the very extremes of both!

I have worked for myself,more or less continually,in the UK and abroad,for many years now.

The over-riding constant,in all that time,was NOT,my technical,business and science knowledge...it was the need to judge quickly and accurately,the people and situations that sprung up...

Nobody could direct you to one single career/direction,without knowing you,your strengths and interests.

Remember,you will be more successful in a career you enjoy and WANT to learn more,than a apparently lucrative one,you do not...

If i had my time again? i would have dug in for five years+,and trained for the bar...i'd have met fewer criminals! :shocked3:

Commercial and Industrial, especially the latter you'll need experience in the field (years) before just delving in. You'd get eaten alive, providing you got any work if you just aimed your new start up at this. Unfortunately Domestic is the way forward, as a start up, before branching out and eventually trying to get away from Domestic as every Tom, Dick and Harry is doing it these days.

As from a business point of view - being self employed myself, the paperwork is a nightmare at first but once you get the jist of things and providing you keep everything in an order you're familiar with it kind of becomes second nature - although the payments for this that and the other do not seem to get any better, easier or intact cheaper.

From the working side of it - you need to be competent and be able to handle some pretty fruity situations - some customers don't like to be told something is wrong, especially if they're DIY Dave and do get defensive so you need to know your stuff to put these clowns in their place. Also, if anything untoward happens on a job you've got no one to fall back on so you need to be calm under all different types of pressure.

And lastly, you never rest - mind is constantly on work, even at 7pm when you get home - its paperwork time and thats providing theres no call outs.

It's a brilliant career, providing you go down the correct avenues and get the correct and proper training. I wish you all the best.

Mark

With every thing in life, grab at every bit of Education Qualification and Area you can get your TOES in to.
NOTHING is a sure thing, (I'm guessing by the way you type that English isn't your first language) there can be a lot of reading for the classroom, but if you watch someone who is doing the job correctly to the book, then you should be able to pick it up with less reading. I guess you will still have to do some Maths and reading for Cable Calcs.

But the Main thing is to TAKE ALL YOU CAN GET, with Tech always changing you have to move with it. Always be trying to ADD other things to the list of things you can do and IMPROVE.

Commercial and Industrial, especially the latter you'll need experience in the field (years) before just delving in. You'd get eaten alive, providing you got any work if you just aimed your new start up at this. Unfortunately Domestic is the way forward, as a start up, before branching out and eventually trying to get away from Domestic as every Tom, Dick and Harry is doing it these days.

As from a business point of view - being self employed myself, the paperwork is a nightmare at first but once you get the jist of things and providing you keep everything in an order you're familiar with it kind of becomes second nature - although the payments for this that and the other do not seem to get any better, easier or intact cheaper.

From the working side of it - you need to be competent and be able to handle some pretty fruity situations - some customers don't like to be told something is wrong, especially if they're DIY Dave and do get defensive so you need to know your stuff to put these clowns in their place. Also, if anything untoward happens on a job you've got no one to fall back on so you need to be calm under all different types of pressure.

And lastly, you never rest - mind is constantly on work, even at 7pm when you get home - its paperwork time and thats providing theres no call outs.

It's a brilliant career, providing you go down the correct avenues and get the correct and proper training. I wish you all the best.

Mark

...7 pm?...7 pm?... i used to dream of 7 pm finish... They only hung me the right way up yesterday...:dizzy2:

Reply to Which is a better area to get in for an apprentice for future in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net