Discuss Which van to buy? Downsizing from a renault trafic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My 08 Renault Trafic has now done 212,000 miles. I'm the second owner, the first being the AA. It's never let me down in the 10 years I've had it, but... I think it's time to get a new one.

Electric isn't really an option as I would struggle to get the charging cable over 2 neighbours properties.

I'd quite like to downsize to a more economical van as It's my only vehicle.

The Ford Transit Courier looks great for economy (approx 55mpg), but probably too small. Does anyone have one and use it for their trade?

The more likely candidate is the peugeot partner (approx 48mpg). Again, does anyone use one and if so, do they have enough space or are you constantly wishing you had a bigger van?

Any other economical vans that people use and are happy with?

I would take the mpg figures as a pinch of salt.
I had a Partner few year back and met a courier who said 'great vans aren't they I get 65mpg'
but he carried relatively 'light' parcels/packages and mostly long steady motorway driving.
I probably maxed out load wise, ladder rack on top and short journeys by comparison and got (40mpg typically).
At the time Peugeot offered various engine types(Pet/Diesel)/sizes/output and load capacities so may not be able to draw a direct comparison.

As a van it was fine and did about 100k without any trouble, then it developed an oil leak. Costly repair so got rid.

I used to have a transit connect. It has a hatch that goes under the passenger seat to get 3 meter conduit in etc. Only room for tools and basic van stock though . I put a false floor in one I had to store my steps under We used to get all materials delivered to sites though so did not need big Van's.

I had a 2014 transit connect for 5 years and it was brilliant, no issues with it whatsoever and more space than the courier. Was torn between it and a caddy at the time, caddy was too small and far too basic for the price of them. Everyone will have their own personal preference but I would have another connect tomorrow if I needed a van.

I’ve had a caddy for 6 years. Front shocks and springs due to Lincolnshire roads and that’s it.

Bluemotion gets 50+ even after 120K.

Residuals are very good, so not great when buying.

My previous Connect had 200K+, was rubbish on fuel, tin worm was rampant but it drove well. Would never buy a Ford again, I know a few people with connects and customs and they have been problematic. They will rot when older like all Dagenham dustbins.

The most problematic marque I’ve ever owned is my current A class, goes like hot snot but forever on the ramps so maybe avoid Merc.

Last edited:

Reply to Which van to buy? Downsizing from a renault trafic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net