Discuss Which way is correct - Relay wiring.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Enhance

I Have a little question not sure which way is correct see images
Drawing1.jpg
Drawing 2.jpg

I need the coil to be switched when power is supplied from the controller to the motor switch. The relay will be switching a 24v DC feed to a Warning Beacon & Siren.

Not sure because controller doesn't have a N output weather I need to use a 415v coil or I need to feed the coil with a N feed. If the coil is to use a N is it a 415v coil or a 240v Coil?

Both wiring methods are correct as shown but as for complying to regulation would depend on your control circuit and how its layed out...

What is the controller ? Is this a VSD or a contactor?
What existing control voltages exist? Is the 24v you require for the Siren already wired or are you fitting a DC supply.
What is the duty of the motor (what job does it do?)
What is the purpose of the Siren? ... Is this a safety/warning set-up?

We need a lot more info here because you are altering or making additions to a motor control circuit, you may be restricted by regulations if the existing set-up is part of a larger control system then give as much info' as possible.

Lastly - Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the info. The system is part of a control system for a truss grid in a arena. The controller is a portable system see image below.

DigiHoist-Gallery-Image-2-140x88.jpg

The system when the go is pressed the controller passes 415v to the connected motors. We are going to use that signal to open a contact to say a a move is happening. The 24v Is supplied by a 240v transformer in an separate unit. The controller will only pass 415v to a motor if one of its channels is selected.

The whole system is remote controlled by computer. So a move can be done without someone who my not be near operator knowing a move is happening.

Not sure what regulations cover this but controller confirms to emergency stop SIL 2 & EN 62061:2005. The system is installed to Category A or D8+ & in accordance with BS7906-1:2005 section 6.5. In the case of a Category A system, and in accordance with SQ P2:2010 section 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 in the case of a D8+ system.

The siren is a audible warning to warn everyone a move is happening.

Hope this helps.

Aha, I know these controllers pretty well, and another member by the name of rockingit will know them even better than I do.

Is yours for LV control motors or direct control? this could have a bearing on things.

I think your best bet would be to not interfere with the existing controller as it is but to make a standalone beacon device which will plug in to one of the motor outputs (with a through or splitter) to avoid any potential problems from altering the control equipment.

But I do wonder why you need the beacons and siren and i'd be amazed if your method statement doesn't include the operator having line of sight and giving clear 'heads up' and 'truss moving' or 'motor# bumping' calls before moving anything.

Every warning system I’ve installed sounded before the drive moves. It’s no good warning someone when they’re already tangled up in a machine.

Dave or Rock may know if an O/P could be assigned as a pre-start warning. If not this seems a pointless exercise.

Every warning system I’ve installed sounded before the drive moves. It’s no good warning someone when they’re already tangled up in a machine.

Dave or Rock may know if an O/P could be assigned as a pre-start warning. If not this seems a pointless exercise.

There's no chance of assigning an output as anything other than a motor, these boxes are the most basic of basic control.

If its an ELV control system rather than direct control then this idea really won't work as power to the motors is constant with each motor supplying it's own control voltage which is switched by relays in the controller for up or down control.

I can just about see the application of a beacon which is only on when the hoists are operating, but I certainly wouldn't want the siren. The operator needs to be able to hear anyone shouting stop or calling out instructions!
But knowing the environment the beacon will likely not be seen anyway.

Thanks for comments it is a Kinesys Kinesys - Products - DigiHoist controller and is a LV Model. Power is only supplied to hoists when one of the hoists is moved. With regards to siren this is in an large arena so this is a common feature when moving tons of metal above peoples heads. A key switch to disable the siren is present anyway.

The old way of doing things was to monitor every one of the up/down control channels. This would take a whole load of monitoring relays. Where as this way only takes 1 relay per 8 channel controller. The Alarm module is separate anyway to controller with the 415v Output being linked through the module.

Thanks again everyone.

Reply to Which way is correct - Relay wiring.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net