Discuss Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am registered with ELECSA as they were incredibly friendly and helpful when I was making my enquiries into joining a Part P scheme. The other main operation (not naming names etc) were at the other end of the scale, the fact that most of the public know their name has obviously over-inflated thier egos and they only seemed interested in taking my card details upon my first contact with them, and then became rather disinterested when I said I was a self-employed sole trader. More power to ELECSA (pardon the pun), totally on the side of the one-man operation and the new startup firms, and their website is a doddle to use and register your jobs. On top of that, their assessors are proper time-served sparkys who have earnt their stripes by getting their hands dirty, and do all they can to make your assessment as painless and stress-free as possible. Can't speak highly enough of this outfit, well done ELECSA!

Hi,

On my future plans, I would like to work only with microgeneration products, and I have to chose now as I see between NAPIT and NICEIC (because I hope later I can do commercial works as well.)
But I'm not sure, which one would be better later.

If I registering with NAPIT, then I can do everything ( commercial, Industrial as well)
I just need to do this “Microgeneration Certification Scheme”.
And thats it, no more do this, do that...

If I chose NICEIC, then first I have to be domestic installer, after I can apply for PIR, and after this, after that, after blabla... Its too many steps.. And you must pay always.. Plus you most organize works, what they can view..
I could do this “Approved Contractor Scheme” but here are (again) so many things which are not clear... (their website is a piece of sh*t )
I opened my company half year ago (and I was self-employed before for 2 years)
I have the 17th edition and the 2391-10.

But to be an approved contractor they asking :
-employing and supporting a Principal Duty Holder and Qualified Supervisor
(c) has had at least two consecutive years' managerial or
supervisory responsibility for the technical standard of
electrical installation work; and
(e) is conversant with the Electricity at Work Regulations*,
BS 7671*, associated guidance material* as prescribed by
NICEIC, appropriate British Standard* and other
Industry Codes of Practice*; and
-Application assessment
(2) Every applicant shall produce to NICEIC's appointed
representative a list of all electrical work completed during
the previous six months and of all electrical work in
progress, and make available the specifications, drawings,
certificates and reports relating to that work.
-The Field Engineer will normally select a minimum
of five samples of the range of electrical work
carried out to inspect for the assessment.

Questions:
-Can I'm the Qualified Supervisor with my qualifications ?
-what is if I didn't make any jobs with my company in the last 6 months,
because I'm employed by an another company ?
-the 5 sample must include domestic, commercial, and Industrial job as well ?
Possible to show them 1 job now, 2 another job 1 month later, and another two 3 month later ?

Waaa, and many-many more questions :S

But the only important is:
Is it big disadvantage to chose Napit, if I want to do domestic or industrial jobs ?
Can you show any example (advert, tender, anything) where is it written,
that they just accept the NICEIC certifications ?

Sooory, for my english, and for this “neverendingstory” :D

Best regards,
Tom

With ELCSA you can't make commercial and industrial inspection and testing. :S

I would prefer NAPIT, but It would be very annoying if I miss a job, just because I'm registered with different "company". And if you just lose one commercial or industrial job because this, then you lose much more then the difference is..
But the procedure with NICEIC is quite ridiculous (if I compare to anothers..)

So I'm still thinking about this, but next week I would like to start the procedure..

You dont have to be registered with anyone to carry out commercial or industrial work, however, this is dependant on the clients requirements.

If you are going with the NIC then you will need approval status as the domestic installer scheme does not cover commercial installs.

Hmm,

"You dont have to be registered with anyone to carry out commercial or industrial work, however, this is dependant on the clients requirements."

So, could I make right now a small industrial unit installation, and just fill the standard form (Appendix 6) ?

"If you are going with the NIC then you will need approval status as the domestic installer scheme does not cover commercial installs."

Yepp, this is my problem with NICEIC, this approval status looks impossible for a start up company..
If I start as domestic installer then I have to show them 2 of my works.. Then When I'm applying for PIR, I must show again.. Anf if later I can make the approval status, I have to show them another ?5?..
Plus money, money, money... grr..

In for a penny......... :) ................

I looked the various entities and my first impulse was to go to Mr Nice who stopped me in my tracks when I was told my qualification EAL modules 1-infinity was insufficient! I got in touch with my course tutor and armed with new regs returned to the nice bunch who regarded my application with great suspicion even though I pleaded that qualifications were sufficient!! Having been advised that Mr nice was not actually that nice, I changed track and have just joined up with Elecsa to whom I am determined to remain loyal :)

Anyway, I feel comfortable with Elecsa and they (and this forum) gives me sufficient confidence to know I can be of benefit.

I might add that the letters I received from the other bunch only reinforce my view that they are good at marketing .....

For me it was quiet important, that I could do everything in a future (PIR&Commercial&Industrial), so finally I chose NAPIT. And will see in a future, how big disadvantage is this. But later I could change easily to NIC, because I will have finished works, 1 year company history, etc.. (these things are difficult for a startup Co.) But I hope (KNOW!:)), it won't be neccessary..

Best regards,
T0M4

I guess the difference is really one of how much experience do you have. Me, I'm at the latter end of my youth; my experience is soured by experience; I am not put off by money grabbing aggressive approaches of the marketing guys, I'm still more inclined to favour the personal touch as portrayed by Elecsa. I quite like Napit but they a bit out of reach when it comes to what I want.

I learnt my electrics something like IEE 12/13th Edition.. in the 70's .. gave up due to being out of touch and I then decided to become competent again and I must say I quite like the new regime :)

When it comes down to it I think it doesn't really matter who you join up with, just go by personal taste. At the end of the day you will become experienced and worthy by which I mean your Clients will be your advert and your recommendation! These companies that we have to register with are not to be our masters so much as our servants in time of need & like all good servants you have to pay them to keep them handy:p

Im with NICEIC just giving it a while trial and see how it pans out but at mo no problems and the NICEIC sticker does look good on the jetsons family car !
Regards
Kung.

For me it was quiet important, that I could do everything in a future (PIR&Commercial&Industrial), so finally I chose NAPIT. And will see in a future, how big disadvantage is this. But later I could change easily to NIC, because I will have finished works, 1 year company history, etc.. (these things are difficult for a startup Co.) But I hope (KNOW!:)), it won't be neccessary..

Best regards,
T0M4

Hi
I am with Napit and for me i can sign the red sheets for part p, commercial and industrial but we all know the state of the Country, i said to my wife if this does not work and the Country does not pick up after the next election then we will move to Canada, i spoke to the Embassy last year and its not difficult just meens another exam and you pay the Embassy and then set you up in small flat and find you a job. Lets just home this Government is gone very soon and the Irish say NO, NO, NO in 9 days.:D

Thanks

Mark

Every customer who has heard of a registration scheme (And there aren't many of those!), has asked me whether or not I'm "With that NIC EIC?"
It seems they're the only organisation people have actually heard of, so it was the logical choice for me.

I know its been said, but I also found Elecsa the easiest and most aproachable to deal with.

The assesor puts you at ease, despite being thorough and the website is a doddle. (Even for me!)

CBW

I'm registered with the niceic approved contractor and im sick of none registered people i personal think its time that the industry as a whole had just one registration scheme such as the gas safe register none of my customer know what part P is and only a some know of the niceic our industry is a disgrace and why can you buy fuse boards and gas boilers from the likes of B&Q when your not supposed to be fitting them ??

Hi All

The NICEIC has two schemes the Approved Contractor and the Domestic Installer.

The AC scheme has a registration fee of £430 + VAT. Once you are on the Roll its £370 + VAT for a half day visit, if you carry out a lot of work or do PIR's then there is a further half day visit at £290 + VAT. For the first year the £370 is based on the financial year so if you join half way through the year you only pay half.

The DIS has no registration fee. The fees are £370 + VAT. This is not based on the financial year but from the day you register to join.

The fees include the visit, there are no hidden charges.

The NICEIC are holding a series of Tech Talks all around the country, and will be at all ELEX Tool Fairs, you can register at these events and the fees are greatly reduced.
Regards

Tony

I attended the Elex at the Ricoh. Rarely have I heard such total drivel from so many people in positions of "trust". It almost made me ashamed to call myself a spark. Many seem to be bolstering their "careers" within the schemes by avoiding the issues that we would all like to see addressed. My interest lies in what the "robots" WON`T say, and what they deny knowledge of..........

Hi All

The NICEIC has two schemes the Approved Contractor and the Domestic Installer.

The AC scheme has a registration fee of £430 + VAT. Once you are on the Roll its £370 + VAT for a half day visit, if you carry out a lot of work or do PIR's then there is a further half day visit at £290 + VAT. For the first year the £370 is based on the financial year so if you join half way through the year you only pay half.

The DIS has no registration fee. The fees are £370 + VAT. This is not based on the financial year but from the day you register to join.

The fees include the visit, there are no hidden charges.

The NICEIC are holding a series of Tech Talks all around the country, and will be at all ELEX Tool Fairs, you can register at these events and the fees are greatly reduced.
Regards

Tony

If you are the Tony cable ,then you and your organisation share a lot of the responsibility for the demise and respect of traditional standards of competence for people who could be classed as electricians

You run a system that portrays itself as the guardian of electricial standards,but does,in fact promote unskilled personel doing works/PIRs etc that makes ridicule of the ignorance of the public and buisness world alike
When will your organisation have the decency and honesty to admit these facts and get rid of the criminal QS system?

Hi all,
Not posted much around here, but I dod find the forums useful. I'm registered with ELECSA who I have found to be very helpful and who made the assessment a better process than it could have been.
I met an NICEIC assessor in my previous employment and didn't like the approach at all. I've worked for ECA firms most of my working life, and ELECSA, being an offshoot of the ECA seemed an obvious choice when I went freelance.

I'm with ELECSA, never had a problem with them. Same inspector for the past three years, he's great. Technical friendly and helpful. Website easy enough to use.

I am Registered with the NICEIC but had full accreditation before 2005 saw it coming and joined early, scary but ok in the end, as not that hard if your a normal honest spark who cares about your customers and doing it right.:) Domestic installer reg was automatic,( if already doing it) to existing members as we already tested our installations to BS7671
I am just pleased its cut out a lot of the cowboys, any one who does not join a scheme can only be viewed as not competent to do so by normal Electricians:p

Have been around for awhile and seen more bad workmanship by poorly regulated imitation sparks than most, I have noticed a marked improvement in works carried out since Part P. Far less Kitchen Fitters, Plumbers, Builders,chancers, etc not registered all able to install a light or socket or more and make it work, bad enough to cause injury and or death to their customers, some are still out there and are still doing it. any Decent spark who is fully qualified would be registered or notifying his work job by job with building Control the rest,well I havent changed my opinion they are still with the builders
The NICEIC are Good I joined them as a one man band the first time in the 80s left during recession in 91and joined again this century both times their engineers were very helpful throughout my assessments. Both times I had limited works to show them, the second time no Domestic works at all, but commercial workshop and offices with a small kitchen.
It should be said that the NICEIC were put under a lot of stress to accommodate a vast amount of new applicants over a very short space of time I think that they have and still are doing a good job for us as Sparks and for our industry and the public to. They are by far the number one with more registrations, also known by most people who still look for their Logo. We as a Company are very busy, touch wood, are you
or should you be NICEIC registered:)

Have been around for awhile and seen more bad workmanship by poorly regulated imitation sparks than most, I have noticed a marked improvement in works carried out since Part P. Far less Kitchen Fitters, Plumbers, Builders,chancers, etc not registered all able to install a light or socket or more and make it work, bad enough to cause injury and or death to their customers, some are still out there and are still doing it. any Decent spark who is fully qualified would be registered or notifying his work job by job with building Control the rest,well I havent changed my opinion they are still with the builders
The NICEIC are Good I joined them as a one man band the first time in the 80s left during recession in 91and joined again this century both times their engineers were very helpful throughout my assessments. Both times I had limited works to show them, the second time no Domestic works at all, but commercial workshop and offices with a small kitchen.
It should be said that the NICEIC were put under a lot of stress to accommodate a vast amount of new applicants over a very short space of time I think that they have and still are doing a good job for us as Sparks and for our industry and the public to. They are by far the number one with more registrations, also known by most people who still look for their Logo. We as a Company are very busy, touch wood, are you

Well, full marks on the marketing .... they trained you good .... (I would insert a smiley at this point but it only seems to convey wrong message - which is one of 'chuckle')

I joined Elecsa by recommendation and I don't see any reason to grumble.

One thing that did upset me was a recent email from Napit that suggested I might like to transfer to them ... the email was grammatically incorrect and the open policy of outright poaching was blatantly pure marketing .... I shall stick with my preferred organisation.

As stated before, I think it a total waste of space that we have 3 organisations grabbing our votes - Hmmm, seems a parallel with our politiceans . money grabbing :eek:!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, full marks on the marketing .... they trained you good .... (I would insert a smiley at this point but it only seems to convey wrong message - which is one of 'chuckle')

I joined Elecsa by recommendation and I don't see any reason to grumble.

One thing that did upset me was a recent email from Napit that suggested I might like to transfer to them ... the email was grammatically incorrect and the open policy of outright poaching was blatantly pure marketing .... I shall stick with my preferred organisation.

As stated before, I think it a total waste of space that we have 3 organisations grabbing our votes - Hmmm, seems a parallel with our politiceans . money grabbing :eek:!!

was justifying previous post I did the reply for professional
I do agree with you about Napit as have had the same rubbish from them as you
:) i am not afraid to smile

"any one who does not join a scheme can only be viewed as not competent to do so by normal Electricians" Total rubbish!

You may not be aware but ALL scheme providers undertake "poaching" campaigns - the only reason why you may not be aware is that schemes do not send the "poaching packs" to their own members! As for the idea that there are less kitchen fitters doing dodgy wiring - get real, it`s worse than ever out there! The only thing that Part P has achieved is that the former cowboys are now semi-legitimate since any scheme will accept anyone as long as they have money in their pocket. They only care about standards of work if they get caught out - I see it most days AND the way they cover up the awful work of THEIR OWN members whilst decrying the work of anyone else. The idea that only registered sparks are any good is pathetic - some of the worst work that I see is by REGISTERED sparks, or quite often by sparks who are employed by a registered company during the week and become weekend warriors at other times. Judging by the standard of work some turn out I fail to see how their "legitimate work can comply - but then again, once it`s signed off under the QS system nobody cares do they?

A registered sparks, in this era, has no meaning?????????
My uncle would wear a bowler hat, as a top sparks in his day????????
Modern times, you become a sparks, on a one week course????????
The game has gone beyond repair:mad:

What if I did a weeks course & wore a bowler hat.
Would that be ok?

I quite like that ..... yes, it has a certain romance to it. And at the end of the course you would receive your hat with a letter 'P' emblazoned on the front.

I shall not devalue it by suggesting that upon failing, the hat becomes a flower pot with a 'd' on the front.

:) "ooh, I want one!:eek: !" :)

I'm with the NIC, basically registered because of part p. I went for the full one though as it seemed madness to pay a fee and only be covered for domestic installation. My annual fee's in the region of £450/ year and add to that the cost of annual assessment, a similar figure if I recall and it's not cheap!
On the plus side though I've actually been "found" by customers through the NICEIC's listings of electricians in the local area, and while it amounts to a small amount of the expenditure it all helps.
I have friends registered with ECA/ nappit etc and others who are not registered at all and occasionally get asked to "come in on a job" with them as the client insists on NICEIC paperwork.
As has been said, the NICEIC is well known and their "branding" is highly recognisable, the part P notification side is easy via the website and their technical dept are helpful enough.

Hi,

I'm not yet registered with anyone. I'm newly qualified and after a chat with Elecsa on the phone I think I will probably go with them when the time comes. They seem very friendly and helpful (especially for a newbie just breaking into the trade) .

I appreciate that companies/councils see NICEIC as the 'market leader' but that's just due to more people being registered to them.

If Elecsa had more members then I'm sure the councils would start to change their views.
It's a vicious circle. Until we start 'supporting' Elecsa then NICEIC will always be the preferred body.

Cheers
Steve

Hi,

I'm not yet registered with anyone. I'm newly qualified and after a chat with Elecsa on the phone I think I will probably go with them when the time comes. They seem very friendly and helpful (especially for a newbie just breaking into the trade) .

I appreciate that companies/councils see NICEIC as the 'market leader' but that's just due to more people being registered to them.

If Elecsa had more members then I'm sure the councils would start to change their views.
It's a vicious circle. Until we start 'supporting' Elecsa then NICEIC will always be the preferred body.

Cheers
Steve

I'm in my 4th year with Elecsa, very good no complaints, they are getting known out there, British Gas moved over to them either last year or early this year. Elecsa could do more to push their name to the front, but we members also have to do our bit which i do. It used to be a case of customers asking if you were NIC registered, but now mainly it is asking if you are registered. On the odd occasion that i am asked if i am NIC registered i inform them there are other registration bodies of which i am a member of one, and they all carry equal credibility, point them in the direction of the Elecsa website or give them the householder Elecsa info sheet, always does the job.

Cheers.........Howard;)

Im a 17th edition self employed electrician but not registered yet, any one can tell me which one is the easyest to join and hasslefree

Im a 17th edition self employed electrician but not registered yet, any one can tell me which one is the easyest to join and hasslefree

Apart from :) Elecsa :), have you considered joining the 'Foreign Legion'? Here they doin quite well ;)

Currently in the process of registering with NAPIT, we have passed the onsite assesment and we jsut need to return a form and its sorted.

We're with NIC transferred over from ELECSA due to a large contract where the landlord didn’t recognise ELECSA, to be honest I don’t think he would have taken much persuading, say a letter or leaflet from Elecsa. Did try conting ELECSA they didn’t seem bothered and wouldn’t support / supply us with a letter or leaflet or even the time of day to be honest. So we switched back to NIC.
Also had an argument with British gas over a sighting of a consumer unit contacted both NICC and ELECSA. NIC backed be up ELECSA “wouldn’t make a comment”.
I’ve always found NIC friendly and reasonable (the same price as Elecsa, Nic show their price inc VAT so it looks more) despite what Elecsa say.
BUT… I would say Brian Robinson Elecsa East Anglia Assessor is the nicest assessor I have yet met, he really puts you at ease and is very knowledgeable.
So for 1st timers I would still say Elecsa

Hi all,

I have registered with Napit on a just 8 scheme to start with. They seem very helpful and good for advice.

I guess the others have strong points but I went with Napit following advice from an electrician.

Whoever you choose I guess it only shows how good the choice is afterwards.

Best wishes to all,

Rex

please see my new thread

Hi everybody
please see my new thread which could be an extension to this thread
which is here:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/inspection-testing-certification-electrical-installations/12317-niceic-elecsa-napit-how-did-you-get-assessment.html

hopely it's alright to "advertise" it here
:)

Had my assesment with Elecsa today, Passed with A grade! :D run a submain to an outbuilding, was bricking it but the Assessor was very friendly and helpful and loved his tea and coffee.. never tried to catch me out or anything like you expect to happen (natural reaction...), So far i am very pleased with my choice and can see ill be staying with them.

Would also like to thank everyone on this forum for their posts, with useful infomation, pointers and advise, they helped me realise there really isnt anything to worry about as long as you know your Regs, can do the job and confident with the meter...

Cheers Guys!
Tickover

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am with Elecsa.
As a start up, it was helpful that they din't need to see as many sites for the inspection as NICEIC.
In a previous role as PDH for a different company, I went through the NICEIC mid term assessment also.
I found the NICEIC and Elecsa inspections to be similar in terms of rigour.

I am likely to register with NICEIC later in the year also because they have a much higher public profile.

I am very impressed with the NICEIC "Learning Lounge" as well.

D

Registered with Napit 2&1/2yrs, no problems with them. Major problem with all the shoddy work and incompetence in the trade(s).

NIC-EIC
Ive been with them since 1989, at the time the ECA was an old boy's club for larger contractors
I have always found the NIC fair ( not as good since they have changed their status.)
I find the fees generally ( all bodies) a bit over the top especially as most reporting ect id reported on line and the yearly assessments are chared as a additional cost

I'm elecsa. I know people always look for NIC because of homes under the bloody hammer and that lot, but elecsa seem to be more neutral whilst NIC will always drag the spark over the coals over the slightest unfounded complaint. Elecsa also have great technical help and just seem to 'be there' for the contractor. I think over time Elecsa will emerge as the 'specialist' scheme, and NIC will prove to be the two-question-and-in cowboy magnet that it really is. I REALLY WANT TO CLARIFY I don't think everyone on NIC is like this and I'm sure most of the people on this site aren't, but I also reckon that in a few years you will all be with elecsa because you will be fed up with being associated with the dross that NIC allow in on a daily basis.....

NAPIT can balls.....

Reply to Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net