Discuss Why are the first 5-6 LED’s on my 24V LED Lighting Strips not lighting after a connector is added? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I just installed some 24V LED Lighting Strips single colour in my kitchen and it seems at every point where I added a quick connector that connects a 2 wire conductors to the LED Strip that the first section of LED’s don’t light up (about 5-6 LED’s). The plastic connectors are the type where you squeeze shut the plastic onto either the two wires or the LED Strips. It’s the same type of connectors you can butt join two strips together. It seems that these connectors are breaking the lines to the first series of LED’s and only power the lights after the first cut location of the strip. I’m trying to understand why these connectors are doing this and what I’m doing wrong in order to make ALL the LED strip wire work from the 1st LED to the last LED on the strip. The only thing I can think of is that I’m pushing the strips too far into the connector and the teeth’s are squeezing the strip after the first cut line and breaking the continuity of the positive and negative lines. I tried to not push the strip so far in by aligning the solder of the first cut line to the two metal pins in the connector but that didn’t work at all, I could get the light strip to light at all using this method. If needed I can attach some pictures if this can help any of you with a possible diagnostic of my situation. The LED STRIP and Connectors are of good quality, they all come from www.richelieu.com

Thanks

TL;DR
First few LED’s on light strips don’t go on
Close up photographs of the connector and the end of the tape you are connecting to may help.

If only the first segment is not working, then it's possible you are doing damage when connecting it (as you've suggested) but it may also be possible you are causing damage during the cutting process. The fact that the rest of the tape works suggests it's a problem with the first segment and not the connection itself.

Personally I try and solder the connections to the tape as they end up smaller than the connectors and are usually more reliable.

Reply to Why are the first 5-6 LED’s on my 24V LED Lighting Strips not lighting after a connector is added? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net