Discuss Why no earthing? .... Track lighting again. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had to re-lamp several track mounted over table pendants but couldn’t find any evidence of earthing to the fittings.

The fittings are 240v metal fittings and are easily within reach.

The track adaptors have an earth terminal but they are wired in two core flex.

The fittings have no obvious earthing point.

The fittings are only five years old.

What am I missing, otherwise seems like a very neat installation with full EIC and schedules at each DB.

Without physically seeing one it is hard to say but if there is an earth terminal present I suspect it should be earthed. Carry out a continuity test between the earth terminal and metalwork of the track, if you have continuity it probably should be earthed.

try and keep your opinions to your self if you are not going to help.

The industry is in a PROPER state. FACT. What would coming on here and being a self congratulatory turnip do to combat the demise of this trade?
The industry is totally unsafe.
I need to get lighting on a d.c based system, wired up to a single load on a panel containing loops of transformers, and have people with no skills wiring up elv led lights to the panel. Which can be controlled by app. I can't trust numptys with a.c an more. The bs7671 needs a remix.

Paleo sparky now banned for good, let's get the thread back on track lads, cheers.

I would say if the electrical connection part of the unit has an earthing terminal and this has continuity with the metal of the lights then they need to be earthed.

'The fittings have no obvious earthing point' is a bit confusing. I'm guessing there is no continuity between the metal fitting and the earth terminal and nowhere to put an earth connection on the fitting??

I would say if the electrical connection part of the unit has an earthing terminal and this has continuity with the metal of the lights then they need to be earthed.

'The fittings have no obvious earthing point' is a bit confusing. I'm guessing there is no continuity between the metal fitting and the earth terminal and nowhere to put an earth connection on the fitting??
Sorry thought that was fairly clear.

The fittings are hung from a track which is earthed.

The fittings are attached to the track using an adapter which has within it an earth terminal along with L & N.

The fitting that houses the GU10 is metal and is connected to the track adapter using 1 meter of two core braided flex.

The fitting has no earth lug or point of connection. There are no class 2 markings to be seen and looking at the all metal construction I think class 2 is unlikely.

The metal fitting is suspended by using the GU10 holder. The flex is terminated into the back of the GU10 holder which does have a clamp to secure the flex.

So if there is a fault at the fitting end of the assembly the only path to earth is the poor sap that touches it, as I see it.

Last edited:
Hi - keeping in mind that I haven't seen the fitting - but what's different in your case from a pendant light which has had a metal lamp shade fitted? (Earth is present at the base and there's a 2 core flex dropping to the lamp holder).

Last edited:

Reply to Why no earthing? .... Track lighting again. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net