Discuss Wire and breaker size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm in tech school and would appreciate if someone checked my work. Thank you
We have a 480/277 panel with a 3-pole 45amp breaker feeding a vfd. The vfd main breaker is 50amps 460 volts. I figured #10 cu thhn with a #10 cu for the ground. My question is how can #10 wire be on a 45amp breaker We? Isn't #10 undersized for that big of a breaker? Appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20210719_123616.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1
I'm in tech school and would appreciate if someone checked my work. Thank you
We have a 480/277 panel with a 3-pole 45amp breaker feeding a vfd. The vfd main breaker is 50amps 460 volts. I figured #10 cu thhn with a #10 cu for the ground. My question is how can #10 wire be on a 45amp breaker We? Isn't #10 undersized for that big of a breaker? Appreciate it.
On motors it’s common to see a breaker that appears to be more amperage than the actual wire size. You have what is called your calculated load which is your breaker and then you have a connected load which is your motor. The breaker is sized so on the start up of your motor, which is when you are going to pull the most amperage and then you have overloads which will not let the motor pull more amperage than the name plate on the motor states. We have many people add up all the amperage on all the breakers which will exceed the main breakers in the panel’s. Just remember that you have a calculated load and an actual connected load. Good luck

Reply to Wire and breaker size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I would like to ask advice on a breaker size. Back in 2001 I turned my garage into a woodworking shop with several 240v machines. To power them I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am new to the forum. I have a small 30 amp sub panel that once powered a green house, some lights and 1 regular 120-v outlet. We...
Replies
Views
I’m running wires to the basement for future basement finishing. I’d like to add two circuits of outlets (one on the finished side and one on the...
Replies
Views
Last year we purchased a home that was built in the late 1990s It has one outbuilding, sort of a barn/shed about 160 feet from the house (and...
Replies
Views
I'm taking a look at the 120v wiring in an old travel trailer that I recently bought, and plan to live in full time soon. It has some quirks that...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock