Discuss Wiring up a ceiling fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, how does one go about wiring a ceiling fan from this light fixture? Apart from the standard live nuetral and earth wires it has 2 additional, red and white, I'm guessing for the switch?IMG_20220908_142552785.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the picture one of the cables looks to have some written identification on it where it comes out of the ceiling which might give you some clues
The way the lampholder is wired would suggest that the reds are the looped lives which would need connecting together in a separate connector, the blacks are the neutral and the white is the switched live

Looking at the picture one of the cables looks to have some written identification on it where it comes out of the ceiling which might give you some clues
The way the lampholder is wired would suggest that the reds are the looped lives which would need connecting together in a separate connector, the blacks are the neutral and the white is the switched live
The writing on the cable reads : feed

Do any of the other cables have any markings, to confirm the switch wire if you remove the switch it should have a red and a white cored cable
Thanks for your help UNG. I'm pretty sure it is the switch. I've installed 3 other ceiling fans in my home. All just had the 3 wires (earth, live and neutral) so really straight forward. These are the back bedrooms, both have the additional white wire and dubbled up red black and earth wires. The question is, can I just wire the 3 wires (red, black and green/yellow) into the ceiling fan and leave the white wire unconnected? The switch for the light becomes redundant as the ceiling fan has a remote for the light

Thanks for your help UNG. I'm pretty sure it is the switch. I've installed 3 other ceiling fans in my home. All just had the 3 wires (earth, live and neutral) so really straight forward. These are the back bedrooms, both have the additional white wire and dubbled up red black and earth wires. The question is, can I just wire the 3 wires (red, black and green/yellow) into the ceiling fan and leave the white wire unconnected? The switch for the light becomes redundant as the ceiling fan has a remote for the light
It would be a way of doing it as long as you insulate the white wire alternatively you could leave the red live feed to the switch disconnected

Do any of the other cables have any markings, to confirm the switch wire if you remove the switch it should have a red and a white cored cable
Hi UNG, I removed the wall switch Cover and indeed the white wire is for the switch. So how would I go about wiring the ceiling fan? There is no 4th space for the white cable on the ceiling fan mount?

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_122344164.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 1
The fan has its own control you say? In which case you could either remove the switch wire completely, the red and white of that cable or you could leave the red core in and terminate the white into a small wago or something similar to make sure it’s isolated 👍🏻

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: UNG
If you identify the cable with the red and white cores you could leave that wire to the switch disconnected (insulate the ends with some insulation tape so it can be reused at a later date if required) and just connect the reds and blacks and the earths

If you identify the cable with the red and white cores you could leave that wire to the switch disconnected (insulate the ends with some insulation tape so it can be reused at a later date if required) and just connect the reds and blacks and the earths
Thanks UNG, I'll give it a go 🙂

Reply to Wiring up a ceiling fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net