Discuss Withholding certificates until you've been paid? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I do a lot of EICRs for landlords too and am staggered by just how many of them have already let properties without having had an EICR carried-out beforehand. Ditto smoke and heat alarms. Some of them are completely oblivious to the legal obligations that are placed upon them via a vis electrical safety when letting properties, and do not realise that responsibility for the safety of an installation and any electrical appliances that they provide as part of the tenancy lies exclusively with themselves.

I recently carried-out an EICR at a property owned by one such landlord and while I was moving a fully-laden fridge/freezer to gain access to the socket supplying it, a small section of loose, badly fitted,16 year-old linoleum was accidentally ripped. Upon submission of my invoice the landlord awarded himself £125.00 in compensation and deducted it from the bill. So from this point on NO ONE will be receiving any certificates until I have been paid in full.
My days if moving fridges, washing machines are long gone after a leak was attributed to me during an EICR. Put a coming asking restricted access.

My days if moving fridges, washing machines are long gone after a leak was attributed to me during an EICR. Put a coming asking restricted access.

So too are mine. From hereon, customers will be given a list of terms and conditions to read and sign before I do any work for them. They will have to move appliances themselves or arrange for someone else to do so. If they don't agree with my conditions the appliances will not be tested.

I do find it sad that it takes only one customer to spoil it for the rest.
I do send invoice and certificates/reports at the same time ....that is what they are paying you for. I have had some customers who were in tears as they had paid upfront but then cannot get the original electrician to write the report holding the customer to ransom over remedial work needed.
I have had the very rare non-paying customers but not had the time/resource to follow up or track them down....others I have given them a final demand which usually works.
If any landlord/organisation/customer delays payment or keeps trying to cut your rates...don't work for them. When they want you urgently......do nothing.

Great thread - I think it's 50/50 either way. I like the MOT example since to get the MOT you need to pay first. I would like to think a payment would be made on delivery of the certs but I can also see why these might be withheld until payment is made. What happens if they customer never pays, the cert is already done and registered with BC

Great thread - I think it's 50/50 either way. I like the MOT example since to get the MOT you need to pay first. I would like to think a payment would be made on delivery of the certs but I can also see why these might be withheld until payment is made. What happens if they customer never pays, the cert is already done and registered with BC
They'd get a Part Peee, through the post, which tells you nowt....but no delivery of completion cert from the contractor.
......and MOT's have a set cost, electrical certs vary.

Reply to Withholding certificates until you've been paid? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net