Discuss Working while studying in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tath

Hello! I have a couple of questions that I hope that someone in here might be able to answer. I have been searching and googling, but it's difficult to find answers that fits my situation. I've been trying to find a job here in the UK for a few months. I've moved to the UK from Norway. In Norway I finished the school part of my electrician training, about 2 years worth of studies. What remains, if I wanted to become a certified electrician in Norway, would be 2.5 years of apprenticeship. Instead I have started on a part time study in electrical engineering in Norway while living in the UK. In all likelihood I will use about 6 years on these studies, considering I'm hoping to work on the side and actually spend some time with my family. It is my hope that I can find a job building up valuable experience while I'm studying. My problem is that I can't seem to secure any positions that would grant me this opportunity.

I have done a 17th edition exam simulator and basically passed without the book just using common sense and what regulations happens to correspond with the Norwegian ones, and from what I hear the test itself is simple enough. Would this qualification increase my likelihood of being hired alone? I've read it's pretty much just proof you can read a book, but I don't know how true that is. The cost of just taking the exam is low enough though. There's also the CSCS cards, which seems to be desirable and fairly inexpensive, though again I have no idea which one I'd qualify for, if any.

What work would I even be able to do without any C&G qualifications? For the few years I'd get out of them, I'm not sure I see the value of pouring money into getting these, assuming I'd be qualified to try for the exams in the first place.

Basically I've done some electrical installation through vocational training. It did also of course involve things like drawing installations, calculating loads and wiring requirements. I also know some Maple, Matlab and LTSpice. I'm currently doing circuit analysis and lab-work/circuit building at uni. I've got maths, physics, computing, English and French from the Norwegian A-level equivalent.

I'm sorry, this seems to have turned into a long and fairly open-ended post. I'm at a bit of a loss I'm afraid. I've tried contacting some recruitment agencies to get industry advice, but none of them seem to be interested in even talking. I don't mind finding other work, but if there's a possibility of an industry job it would be a shame to miss out on the experience, learning and networking.

Hopefully someone is able to answer my questions, and perhaps even predict some of the ones I should have asked or point me in the right direction of who to approach for assistance. Thank you very much for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

Finding a job in the UK is difficult at the moment, so it may take some time, as you have found.

To get work as an electrician in England the usual expectation is for you to have the UK NVQ3 and the associated qualifications before that. However possession of the C&G 2382 is the absolute minimum you would need to be able to install in accordance with the UK regulations, it is important not to get the two countries rules mixed up. Even though i do not know the Norwegian rules there are very likely to be many odd differences.

Taking the C&G 2382 is not hard but it would be a good idea to be conversant with the current wiring regulations and know how the book is laid out.

If you have done electrical qualifications in Norway then these may be able to be transferred over (at least in part) to be equivalent to the UK qualifications.

To work on building sites, construction areas and many industrial sites you would be required to have the health and safety card appropriate for your role.
If you are an electrician then this would be the ECS card, if you were working as a labourer then this would be a CSCS card.
The ECS card does require certain qualifications to demonstrate your knowledge and I am not sure how the JIB would view your qualifications; it would be best to check out the details on their website for suitability.

An ECS card is the electrician's equivalent to the CSCS and will allow you to work on the bigger sites. You could apply for jobs as an electrician's mate (no qualifications required but experience usually is, fairly easy work to get). you could also apply for electrical improver jobs, they often pay a little more and are for those with theory and some experience but still learning and are generally working towards their NVQ lv3 and a JIB gold card.
You need to contact firms or if they don't offer anything then try agencies.

Thank you both for your help. Looks like 2382 is a place to start. I'm not looking to get fully qualified anyway, though perhaps it might be done over time to compliment my degree. I probably don't qualify for a NVQ3 through my Norwegian education, but it might be an idea to get it translated anyways as I probably qualify for a level 2. From what I can see, this means I won't get an ECS, but perhaps a blue skilled worker CSCS. Will doing so definitely help my job hunting, or could I just save the £90 for qualification translation and aim for a green CSCS instead?

If you do not have a CSCS / ECS card this will limit the areas in which you can work, depending on what work you want to be doing and in what areas you may be able to manage without one but for a six year plan and trying to get jobs as a mate / improver I would get a card any card just to cover the H&S side. However (where a card is required) you would not be able to do electrical work without an ECS card, but you could do mate work.

Thank you both for your help. Looks like 2382 is a place to start. I'm not looking to get fully qualified anyway, though perhaps it might be done over time to compliment my degree. I probably don't qualify for a NVQ3 through my Norwegian education, but it might be an idea to get it translated anyways as I probably qualify for a level 2. From what I can see, this means I won't get an ECS, but perhaps a blue skilled worker CSCS. Will doing so definitely help my job hunting, or could I just save the £90 for qualification translation and aim for a green CSCS instead?

There are different levels of ecs card.

Yours would bassically say electrical improver or trainee on the back

Reply to Working while studying in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net