Discuss Works electrics blown because of rain in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

redman2009

Alright lads,

Just after a bit of information if anyone has a bit of an idea,

Last friday atabout 11am in work the rain bounced down like ive never seen before, and it came through the roof pretty bad, in both the factory and the offices. All the lights and fuse boxes, and the 'main board' were completely soaking. We turned all the elctrics off and phoned up the works manager who came down. Hes a bit like that, but he was more concerned about getting jobs out on time and even though we said i doubt its safe to turn any electrics back on, he turned everything on.

One of the electrical boxes on the wall flew open and sparks were coming out of it. Apparantly its the mainboard, but i dont know much about what that is. Its all gone black round the casing like its burnt, and an electrician came to look at it. He said because the main board switches were turned back on whilst wet through that its blown everything. And that if he wouldve waited till they dried he mightve got away with it.

This was on friday afternoon the electrician got there, so what im hoping is that it wont be fixed by tomorrow and maybe theyll send us all home again? Is something like this a bit of a quick job or couldit take some time? I know it should probably all be checked for safety reasons, although if our place can get away without doing that they will.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers for the reply, the roof wont be a problem theyd have us in without one.

I was just wondering if they would have been able to fix the electrics main board blowing over the weekend?

Or does it vary too much to say.

Thanks

Your boss sounds like a prat! the very act off grabbing the wet isolator could have killed him as even in the off position the internal connections still have permanent live connections on the feed side and could still track down to earth if wet and switched off, its to be hoped the earthing is good to reduce this risk but if its anything like the roof then i would isolate the full installation until checked out.

does he own the premises,if not go to the landlord and ask for a full visual inspection and test to establish the supply is safe.if he owns the premises again he should really get an approved neicc electrical contractor in to assess any damage and whether it is safe to re-instate the supply.under no circumstances should anyone not qualified touch or switch any mains electric

Reply to Works electrics blown because of rain in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net