Search the forum,

Discuss Worst place you've seen a fuseboard / consumer unit..?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm sure I have seen a pic on the forum before of one fitted inside a shower cubicle, or was it a service head ?

Anyway, a good one I have seen was on a mate's job I helped him on. The CU, fuse, and meters were in an alcove, similar to what you find at the side of a chimney breast. That alcove got a kitchen build in front of it, boarded and plastered, units and worktop put across it.
Easy enough to get to it all though in an emergency. Just empty all the stuff out the cupboard and unscrew the back panel. My mate had to crawl in there to do all the through connections for the CU relocation. He gets into some spaces for a tubby one.

View attachment 24596View attachment 24597View attachment 24598

Crikey Andy, the 2nd picture looks like your mate doesn't have a head!

Kwik Save supermarket in cheetham hill,racking right up to the db and no way to isolate it,a broken socket on the aluminium door frame where they plugged in the kiddie ride,had to change the front plate and backbox with the juice on.manager was doing his nut,you can't do it live,but you can't leave a broken socket with exposed cables! what?

Under the staircase the customer said. After laying on my back to get though a small hatch I could just about get a small screwdriver in to undo the cover. Had to remove the step and the step supports to be able to work on it.
IMAG0140.jpg

Was round a job over the weekend,, asked the customer where the consumer unit was,,,,, led me to the cupboard under the stairs, not really a surprise.... but wasn't expecting this,, !! Lol...!!

Worst I've ever seen,,, !!! Although, it's an old Re-wirable Wylex, probably there before the toilet was put in,, so not really the sparkies fault... Plumber should have known better.!! Still worth a chuckle tho...//.

Brings a whole new meaning to locating a C/U in an accessible place.... hmm,,

View attachment 24583
Trying to see the positive in the negative...

I guess if you was called around to do a EICR and had a dickie tummy it might be handy?

Sadly a lot of the old Wylex and similar fuseboxes were positioned or enclosed in a way that only allowed a replacement of the same size, not the modern CU that is about double that!
Enclosed in this case........by a wall. I turned down the offer of carrying out an EICR.
Look below the CU.......and note the wall insulation on two photos.
I realized that the room is the original garage, converted to extra room with an additional garage added.

IMG_1558.JPG

This is in the garage......so it looks like an innovative builder got stuck in.

IMG_1560.JPG

Reply to Worst place you've seen a fuseboard / consumer unit..?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock