Discuss Worth buying this book? Electricians Guide to the Building regs. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just seen this book mentioned in one of 'Guitarist's' posts.

book.jpg

I already have the up to date OSG (green) and red Building regs book. Is this book worth buying? I cant find any helpful reviews that actually explain a bit about what is in it.

Thanks.

It is a very good book, I have it. But before you part with your hard earned check to see if there is one coming out which incorporates the new amendment.

I'm pretty sure there may not be a lot that would change between the red and green books with regards to the building regs, but if they bringing out a new one in a few months reckon it would be worth waiting to get that one

Thanks Malcolm,
I think I'll go ahead and buy it.
There is nothing on the IET website about incorporating the new amendmant into this book so I could be waiting ages and I'm too impatient.
Cheers.

it even tells you where you can drill joists, that's if you can find a bit where the plumbers ain't chopped out half a joist .

it even tells you where you can drill joists, that's if you can find a bit where the plumbers ain't chopped out half a joist .

You see that was my only concern, The OSG explains that (i.e about where you can drill joists) and I expect the BS7671 does as well. I'm going to buy the book but I expect its going to have lots of bits that are already in the OSG.

There are bits that are in the OSG - safe zones springs to mind; it even has the same diagram. There are some things which aren't covered though, hence it being worth buying, reading and understanding.

Bear in mind that it is a GUIDE. There are some useful bits in there that are not in the BGB or the OSG.

Take distances of sockets etc from kitchen sinks. A question often asked on forums*.
There is a minimum stated in the EGBR. Regs and OSG will only talk about "being suitable for the location".

* Is forums right, or should it be fora? Can't remember that Latin stuff..... maybe "forum" is a neuter 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] declension noun, so it should be forums, but then again..........................:banghead:

Definitely worth having..i bought this before my elecsa assessment a month ago and im glad i did , the assessment questions were really big on building regs... :D....thank god!!!

Reply to Worth buying this book? Electricians Guide to the Building regs. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net