Discuss yellow pages + yell.com in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I always look at it as if I was looking for a tradesman,I look for local people, so if you live in a built up area with loads of home owners then it's ok, if you're out a bit I wouldn't bother. A pal of mine used to get quite alot of work from yellow pages, but he was in central London, I'm in the burbs only used to get the odd little local job, so IMHO not worth it.

I always look at it as if I was looking for a tradesman,I look for local people, so if you live in a built up area with loads of home owners then it's ok, if you're out a bit I wouldn't bother. A pal of mine used to get quite alot of work from yellow pages, but he was in central London, I'm in the burbs only used to get the odd little local job, so IMHO not worth it.
i didnt have 1 call from my yelow pages ad last year :mad:
i find the local paper is best for me although it works out considerably dearer :eek:

I did the Yellow Pages advert last year. Got 1 call from it that was actually about work, the rest were all just sales calls. Got the free listing in there still and had one job from that this year!!
I just advertise in the local free papers, although much more expensive (about 4 times as much), its a way better return on your money.
I do think it depends where you are though too. One problem with the Yellow Pages is the area it covers. I live right on the edge of 2 books (so double the cost to go in both!!), and I could end up travelling 30-40 miles just to quote. Got to ask yourself is it worth that??
As for Yell.com, I've got my free listing on that, but its a total waste now. They put up all the subscibed listings first, even if they are from a different part of the country!!!! Still can't hurt.

Stick to the local raggs, you can pick and choose when you want to advertise, so you'll be able to control the budget more. I do find that people like to see you in there regularly though, with a local number. Gives people some confidence that you'll still be around tomorrow!!

Just my experience, but hope it helps!! :)

Starting to think the cons outweigh the pros. Think I've had one, maybe two jobs from it from people living in the same village as me. Weigh that up with all the harrassment you get all day every day on the phone, especially from people wanting to "speak to the business owner please" and their annoying over friendly cloned salesman and you could probably live without it. Better way is to get your card and a few flyers on shop windows and notice boards-as far as advertising goes, I get more from this than anything and if you get one up somewhere like a hospital, factory etc and do one good job it'll keep coming. The best thing to do to get work is to keep on being better than the punters expect-people have such a low opinion of most tradesman these days that if they find a good one, they'll want to tewll everyone!

I think the days of printed telephone directories are completely over, the only thing keeping them going is people worrying that they'll be missing out on business if they drop their ads - the yell.com listing may be worth a look but I've been asking my customers where they found my number, mosts come from recommendations or through my website - i'll be dropping my yell ad next time it comes up for review and just going for the free listing. The web is where people look nowadays. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to yellow pages + yell.com in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net