Discuss You think the industry is tightening up on safety then i walk on this site...... in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a random call from a guy based in bristol asking me if i could go to a building site local to me in Bradford and look at a cable thats sparking for him as they supply the generators and cables, well not for one to turn down what seems a quick repair job i popped over. It turned out to be a 5core swa 10mm approx 20m length been used as an extension 415v flexible cable with 63amp trailer plug and socket on, yes you can guess the armour wasnt earthed either, this cable has heavy plant crossing over it too (no triffid jokes please!). The reason for the sparking in the plug was the ends of the armouring moved forward of the sheath in the plug top and pierced 2 phases. I concluded this armour was live up to the point the 2nd phase was pierce thus causing the shorting.
I rang the bloke back explained what had happened to which he replied "Oh i see, so just needs armour trimming back and will be ok"......."ERM! NO!" and explained how dangerous it was what i found and the fact it dosnt meet health and safety or electrical regs and that i wasnt going to repair it as its not suitable for the job, thus i washed my hands of the job, but not before i explained to the site foreman the danger his men had been put in, so im glad to say someone's in for a bo...cking but i felt good about dropping this guy in the sh..t as its the un-educated and un-qualified who do this that take our trade away.

RANT OVER!!!!!! :veryangry2:

well done for refusing to make an unsafe repair. hope you will be billing them for your time and expert advice.

No on this occasion i wavered it as just round the corner and took 10mins to come to conclusion that i was leaving, had it been out of my way to do this i might have considered a callout but after dropping him in the s..t i didnt really want any more contact or invoice of my address etc falling in his lap...... sometimes easier to walk away and forget and this was one of them times for me.

Reply to You think the industry is tightening up on safety then i walk on this site...... in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net