Currently reading:
236 Part 1 & 2 back in 1991 - Is it too late for me!

Discuss 236 Part 1 & 2 back in 1991 - Is it too late for me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

madfish

Hi All, I'm hoping to get some much appreciated advice from you. I am considering a change a shift in career but at 41 I know this is not going to be an easy task.

Before you scoff at the re-trainer looking to earn 50k (i'm not silly) a year please let me give you some history, I actually obtained my City & Guilds 236 Parts 1&2 back in 1991 whilst on a YTS scheme working for an independent Electrical Wholesalers. As I never experienced an apprenticeship with a company the years went by and whilst proud of my qualification at the time I thought that I had missed my opportunity, I was even told by another Sparky that that course was no longer valid and I would have to start again, however it seems it may be more valid now than the swift courses of today.

I have been told by many a spark I am wasted working in wholesale, and as I have many Sparky mates I have been offered the chance to work with them to get some hands on experience again. I know I will have to update to the 17th and also Inspection & Testing, if it takes me year or so to feel confident again then it's worth it.

My goal would be to become a domestic install electrician. What do you guys think? I currently earn 20k a year, ideally I would like to make more but would be happy to be my own boss and earn the same.

It's a big step and I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the technical Certs. Get a job installing with someone you know, start the NVQ 3 with XS training and complete your site portfolio and you will be a sparky in no time. A lot of people think the 236 pt 1 and 2 are far harder certificates than the modern day equivalent. Good luck

Thanks for all your positive reply's. Your correct I have never completed the 236 Part 3 as my training course ended prior to this, at 17 I could not afford it myself. Can anyone clarify what this actually makes me at present? I seem to remember being told at the time that I was technically a electrician but would not be able to do any site work unless working under a fully qualified Spark. What about domestic though?. I will be doing some weekend gratis work to get some experience over the next few months, hopefully the guys i'm doing it for will think I'm worth a few beer tokens!. My next step would be to go for the NVQ3 as mentioned above. Thanks again guys...

Technically, once you have got your 17th, you'll be over qualified to undertake domestic work, as presently you only need the 17th and 500 notes to join a scam provider to be deemed competent!!

I suppose going down the NVQ route would be your best bet in the circumstances, but you may hit a problem there if all your electrical mates only do domestic work. Completing the NVQ3 requires a far broader work experience than those found in the domestic sector!!

Reply to 236 Part 1 & 2 back in 1991 - Is it too late for me! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back