Currently reading:
3 phase RCCB tripped, won't reset

Discuss 3 phase RCCB tripped, won't reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, in my garage I have a 3 phase RCCB that has tripped and I just can't get it to reset, even with all the downstream MCBs switched off. Bit of a nuisance really as mother in law has no power to her flat above the garage and the garage door and front gate don't work.

I tried uploading photo but "The uploaded file was not an image as expected." so had to make do with PDF...sorry.

I've tried switching off every MCB that is downstream of the RCCB but even if I can get the RCCB to reset for a minute or so as soon as I switch anything on (just MCBs, not load) it trips again. And once or twice I can reset the RCCB for a minute or so, with no other MCBs on, and it will trip again.

Clearly there is a damp problem in the wall, but actually we are well past winter and ambient temperatures are rising - already around 18-20C. Everything inside the CU looks dry. Cables in the wall are in plastic pipe (UK T&E), except the incoming 3 phase which is SWA, and I guess the 3P link to the upstairs flat is also SWA - can't remember...

Just not sure where to look or what to check. Normally I would turn on the MCBs one at a time until I found which one was causing the trip - but this time it seems to be any of them, or none of them. Actually I've never really had electrical problems here.

I'm in Azerbaijan, I don't have access to a qualified electrician. Apart from design and first fix I did most of the installation myself, about 5 years ago.

Thanks

Attachments

• Diagram.pdf
    392.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Garage CU.pdf
    906.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Top half.pdf
    910.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Bottom half.pdf
    811.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Wall.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
pc1966 that seems to send the wrong message i.e. that a N-E fault is nothing to worry about?
No, an N-E fault is a serious business, but if you are seeing 3V between N & E it is a good indication there is not such a fault!

Basically my point is the neutral voltage will not be exactly zero in real life, and if it is below tens of volts then it is within the sort of range that is probably OK. If you see more than the order of 5-10 or so volts it would be worrying as that contributing possibly above its share of the 5% drop in supply that might be considered normal-ish.

Qualified by the fact that this particular installation is known to be TT, so it's reasonable to expect N & E to be at different voltages. Wherease on a TN-C-S system, significant voltage between N & E at the origin, or between PEN and something extraneous, would merit investigation.

@marconi no problem...
Back in 1997 my accounting career was in a bit of a rut, my employer was slowly going down the tubes and I had started job-hunting, not very successfully. I went on hols and came back to look in the Financial Times for the Thursday when I was away, that's when all the financial jobs appear. There was one for BP in Azerbaijan - after I'd figured out where that was I applied, really just for the interview experience with no expectation. I was interviewed by my prospective boss and we really hit it off. Three months later I was here.

My first thought was to do about 3 years, make a bit of money and come back to the UK to start afresh. But in the first month I met my wife-to-be, who was a young opera singer. It took a bit of time to get going but eventually we married and started home-building here. Twenty three years later, here I am still.

Reply to 3 phase RCCB tripped, won't reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock