Discuss 8 foot LED replacement tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some minor rewiring and a handful of steel horseshoe clips and fit 4x 4ft tubes instead of 2x 8ft

1.jpg

2.jpg

Can anyone recommend a supplier for the above we have had some from a previous supplier but have failed.
I would ask City Elec to look into it mate, when I was buying from them they would do anything to get what I wanted, they are a massive organisation, if they cannot get them then no-one can.

8' fittings are a bit old-fashioned - could you replace them for 6' sealed fittings, maybe doubles?
The client does not have the budget for new fittings it is a take guts out and change to LED tubes as the title the existing that were fitted have not performed as advertised we have been asked to replace hence the ask for recommendations we very much want to change the fittings but it is only a storage depot and this is what they want to pay for.

The client does not have the budget for new fittings it is a take guts out and change to LED tubes as the title the existing that were fitted have not performed as advertised we have been asked to replace hence the ask for recommendations we very much want to change the fittings but it is only a storage depot and this is what they want to pay for.
Doesn't have the budget to replace but does for led tubes at £50 odd each and for you to faff about converting them. There are plenty of budget led battens from wholesalers like the Electric Centre.

Doesn't have the budget to replace but does for led tubes at £50 odd each and for you to faff about converting them. There are plenty of budget led battens from wholesalers like the Electric Centre.
Yep agree, this thread is starting to look a bit silly now lol.

I would ask City Elec to look into it mate, when I was buying from them they would do anything to get what I wanted, they are a massive organisation, if they cannot get them then no-one can.
I've yet to have a good experience with them.

Like fittings - RARE = poor sellers (and more expensive )
so do you think they will be in stock ?
(OLD Inefficient fittings to be renewed)
with better and smaller+clean .

Please, I know some of you are trying to suggest change the fittings they are on chains and can only get to the fittings to take down convert fitting and fit LED tubes that's what the client is paying us to do. They want to spend the money on the public facing parts of the building all I was hoping is that someone was going to post back eg "yes we got some from**** and have lasted three years etc.

You haven't given much in the way of info.... Are the existing tubes HO/VHO, T8/T12/R17, SINGLE PIN/2-PIN? How many watts? What colour temp?

Why can't you retrofit with double the quantity of 4ft LED tubes? You'd have a much better choice of products available and 2x 4ft tubes would almost certainly be cheaper than 1x 8ft.

just get loads of LED strip kits, if you can fit the transformer inside the fitting, i did this for a load of outside lights when customer didnt want new fittings

IMG_20180608_162629.jpg

T12 8ft tubes are no longer manufactured in this country.
They are still readily available but very costly and, generally, of inferior quality to their predecessors...…...and are generally imported from USA.
An overall cheaper method is to replace with 6ft led battens, certainly when the original batten needs more than a replacement tube or starter for repair.

The britesource lamps above are also available from lampshoponline who are good for service and will give u a 5% voucher if you message them, big clive did a teardown of some britesource E40 corn lamps on youtube and for an off brand were very solidly made electronically, i fitted some 3 years ago and 1 has just failed this week, theyve been in a carpark in use 10hrs a day the whole time.

Ive only used 5' britesource led tubes and they were plastic not glass so sagged a bit, id contact them to find out.

T8 8ft 2400mm 42w Led Tubes at LampShopOnline Ltd - https://www.lampshoponline.com/led/t8-led-tubes-high-quality/t8-8ft-40w-676-led-tube-frosted-extra-high-output.html

Come down in price in quantity aswell

Last edited:
The britesource lamps above are also available from lampshoponline who are good for service and will give u a 5% voucher if you message them, big clive did a teardown of some britesource E40 corn lamps on youtube and for an off brand were very solidly made electronically, i fitted some 3 years ago and 1 has just failed this week, theyve been in a carpark in use 10hrs a day the whole time.

Ive only used 5' britesource led tubes and they were plastic not glass so sagged a bit, id contact them to find out.

T8 8ft 2400mm 42w Led Tubes at LampShopOnline Ltd - https://www.lampshoponline.com/led/t8-led-tubes-high-quality/t8-8ft-40w-676-led-tube-frosted-extra-high-output.html

Come down in price in quantity aswell

Worth a look this was the feedback that I was hoping for.

Also the corn one that had failed had a 3yr gurantee so have had replacement sent out quibble free... Doesnt appear to be an actual gurantee on the T8 but same brand so hopefully ok, they are frosted plastic not glass though may be worth ordering 1 to check for sag.....

Last edited:

Reply to 8 foot LED replacement tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net