Discuss A new smart meter is tripping RCD for 7 hours every night & I have a theory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"Theres only 1 rcd for the whole circuit (i know, its an old setup) and 2 wylex fuseboards for on peak and off peak."
Source URL: A new smart meter is tripping RCD for 7 hours every night & I have a theory - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/a-new-smart-meter-is-tripping-rcd-for-7-hours-every-night-i-have-a-theory.189919/

Unless I'm being thick and missing something already covered, how can you have a single RCD covering two lines of supply?! In order for that to be it would have to be upstream of the meter, which it never would be unless the meter fitter had been smoking something herbal at the time.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it covered both boards or not as my knowledge is limited.
Is it possible to do so by using the henley block or is it the case that the RCD just covers the on peak fuse board?
[automerge]1598697623[/automerge]
On the original setup the meter only had a Single L & N out to the C.Us
This went direct to the RCD, through it then to the Henley where it split.
1 L & N supply to the Main C.U
Another Live went out to the contactor by the meter and came back in off the switched side to the Off peak Consumer unit.
The L to the Off peak now comes from the meter and misses the RCD, but the Neutral doesn't

Yeah I think I get it, basically with the new meter tails configuration it has circumvented the RCD so that when the off peak board energises the rcd only gets half the picture and trips. Do you think this means my equipment is not faulty and I just need to have the RCD reconfigured on the circuit to work with the new arrangement then

Last edited:
this looks like a borrowed neutral or one connected to the wrong board.
you need someone who is experienced at fault finding.

Gotcha. That's proper muppetry!

On the original setup the meter only had a Single L & N out to the C.Us
This went direct to the RCD, through it then to the Henley where it split.
1 L & N supply to the Main C.U
Another Live went out to the contactor by the meter and came back in off the switched side to the Off peak Consumer unit.
The L to the Off peak now comes from the meter and misses the RCD, but the Neutral doesn't

Gotcha. That's proper muppetry!

If the meter and cutout were next to the Consumer units it would be fairly easy to see the problem.
I was immediately suspicious when I saw the Tail parked in a Henley at the meter.
At first I thought the meter person may have picked the wrong one off the contactor and was feeding a non RCD live onto the already live Henly near the C.Us

Hi guys I finally got some sparks out from the company that carried out my previous EICR and to confirm yes some proper muppetry had been carried out by the meter man. Below is the report they gave me hope it makes sense

Attended site as requested by customer
He explained to the RCD trips when the economy 7 kicks in
Carried out relevant test and found that the main switch RCD (TT) had been double fed and feeding back to off peak, this is a very dangerous situation due to the fact that when isolated it has 200 volts due to only the neutral been switch off and risk of electrocution
Also found economy 7 board wasn't even connect and left in 100a Henry block - disconnect the off peak supply wrongly install by smart meter installer and put back the correct cable for the off peak.
All tests passed the required standard to BS 7671.

My understanding was that he had fed the tails wrong into the henley block tbh I think he probably didn't even bother to check. The sparkies didn't take long to figure it out as the consumer unit is only the other side of the meter cupboard so visually is easy to see and all they had to do was re jig the tails and remove one and hey presto everything's fixed! They also tested all circuitry and everything was golden which was ace.

Now my next move is to go back to the supplier with the ombudsman's support and kick some arse hopefully but most importantly get them to pay for the invoice

Thanks everyone on here for the helpful responses

Result.

I don’t want to be disparaging about meter installers, but I think if there’s “only 4 cables” 2 in, 2 out.... then they got it easy.

add in a second board, off peak, and a time clock/ teleswitch and they are completely lost.

Dont agree with the comment about the neutral. We have loads of THTC or economy 7 stuff up here and the neutrals are marshalled together in a Henley block.

If the RCD can’t be reset for 7 hours The issue has to surely be connected to the off peak supply in some way if that is switching on/off at these times?

Dont agree with the comment about the neutral. We have loads of THTC or economy 7 stuff up here and the neutrals are marshalled together in a Henley block.

If the RCD can’t be reset for 7 hours The issue has to surely be connected to the off peak supply in some way if that is switching on/off at these times?
I’m sure the neutral has to be capable of being isolated via isolator which doesn’t interfere with normal supply which provides disconnection solely of the off peak other than affecting the on peak supply I had similar issue couple of years ago when installing a lot of storage heaters on a nationwide contract experienced so many different types of supplies

Reply to A new smart meter is tripping RCD for 7 hours every night & I have a theory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net