Currently reading:
adding to a mcb

Discuss adding to a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

Is there anything wrong with this scenario.
Customer wants two extra socket about 2m from each other, first one being 400mm from consumer unit.
No spare ways on CU, nearest outlet on rfc is 5m away.
Is it possible to just add a radial fed from the MCB which feeds the rfc for that floor?
I'm thinking its just bad practice to do so but can find info in osg.
MCB rated at 32A and protected by 30mA RCD.

you can add a single outlet as a spur from the CU, but if you want 2 outlets, the either fuse down with a FCU or divert the RFC through your 2 new sockets, thus maintaining the RFC.

I'm not sure there is a reg but good practice suggests have a RFC of 2.5mm and a radial of 4mm in the same MCB isn't a good idea.

Effectively, by description, they are 2 circuits yet you should only have 1 circuit per MCB.

What are the potential consequences of a fault on the existing ring final or a fault on the new 4mm?

I can't think of any that would cause any problems. Both circuits (ring and 4mm radial) are usually ok on a 32A mcb, so I can't see that sharing the same mcb presents any additional risk.

The only thing that may course an issue is with the 4mm cable in the MCB is not allowing the clamp connection of the mcb tightening onto the 2.5mm cables giving a good firm connection but as long as this is checked at the install stage by the good old give it tug test! I cant see problem

It would be a first for me to see on a schedule of test results ph conductor 4mm/2.5 neutral 4mm/2.5mm....
plus when testing the ring for end to end continuity,the readings would not be accurate with the presence of 2 different diameter cables,so unless you can get carol vorderman helping you work it out its probably not a great idea mixing 4 mm with 2.5.

It would be a first for me to see on a schedule of test results ph conductor 4mm/2.5 neutral 4mm/2.5mm....
plus when testing the ring for end to end continuity,the readings would not be accurate with the presence of 2 different diameter cables,so unless you can get carol vorderman helping you work it out its probably not a great idea mixing 4 mm with 2.5.

To do it thoroughly, you would need 2 lines of results on the schedule of test results - anything else would not make any sense.

Nothing in the Regs prohibiting it.
Yes we would all look at it and say that it's two circuits off of one MCB, but according to the definition of a circuit, it's not.
At the end of the day you have to balance whether you want or need the extra work that replacing the CU, or adding an extra CU would generate, against the cost for the customer.
Obviously spurring off the RFC at the CU would be cheaper for the customer, but it won't pay you as much.

In an ideal world they would be separate.

but the thread presents a less than ideal world.

it would be the first time I had seen a 4.0mm2 radial circuit sharing the same 32A MCB as a 2.5mm2 ring. That said I do not think it is unsafe. Given all the points mentioned so far.

I prefer the "extending the ring" suggestion though

Just to clarify in the op scenario, the rfc in the 32A MCB is 2.5mm and new radial fed from existing rfc MCB will be 2.5mm also (bearing in mind its only feeding two dbl skt outlets).

4mm radials are common practice mainland Europe. Ask them what an rfc is and they look at you like you've got two heads!

absolutely nothing wrong with adding 2 sockets wired in 4mm to an existing 32A ring mcb.

the only limiting factors would be

a. can the cable carry full circuit load - yes it can

b. will the ELI at the furthest new socket be within limits - almost certainly as its only a few mtrs from the cu.

and a single circuit can still have multiple cables originating from source.

Just to clarify in the op scenario, the rfc in the 32A MCB is 2.5mm and new radial fed from existing rfc MCB will be 2.5mm also (bearing in mind its only feeding two dbl skt outlets).

4mm radials are common practice mainland Europe. Ask them what an rfc is and they look at you like you've got two heads!

2 double sockets on a 2.5mm radial from the 32A MCB ? assuming method C, the cable CCC is 27A so clearly the OCPD at 32A is not sufficient with a potential draw on the radial of 52A. You could take a 2.5mm spur from the MCB with a maximum of one double outlet.
Just break into and extend the ring as has already been suggested.

Reply to adding to a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock