Discuss Can you feed a RCBO with a MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So here is the thing
Rhere is an old MEMSHIELD TPN+E Board that is pretty mich obsolete. The only place that sells their breakers would be Ebay right.

After having EICR done on it it's been flagged that It requires RCBO/RCD for sockets right.

So here is where we are at
It's not really practical to change the boards as there is about 200 of them and the business is operational 24/7
Fitting a RCD to protect the entire board is not ideal either as it can cause the business to lose a lot of money if all circuits on the MESHIELD were to just drop.

So RCBO is the way

Now just an idea
Is it viable to just get a 6way empty enclosure, populate with RCBO's and have the MEMSHIELD 32A MCB Feed their own respective RCBO. It would take the need away of splitting the load as that board will essentially not have its own power and the power to the respective RCBO will be fed from the MCB which would mean that the sockets would have additional protection.

Just some food for thought

Assuming this is MEM1 and not MEM2 (for which MR30 Type A Pod RCBOs are available) - then this is a solution I've seen done on some of our old federal boards at work.

You wont have selectivity between overcurrent devices as you'll have two in line with each other but in practice (as they'll be physically so close) shouldn't be an issue

You could alternatively just fit RCD's after the existing MCBs - so relying on the MEM for overcurrent and the RCD for additional - as opposed to RCBOs - but appreciate this will take more space.

Assuming this is MEM1 and not MEM2 (for which MR30 Type A Pod RCBOs are available) - then this is a solution I've seen done on some of our old federal boards at work.

You wont have selectivity between overcurrent devices as you'll have two in line with each other but in practice (as they'll be physically so close) shouldn't be an issue

You could alternatively just fit RCD's after the existing MCBs - so relying on the MEM for overcurrent and the RCD for additional - as opposed to RCBOs - but appreciate this will take more space.
Ye smaller board (containing the RCBO'S) will literally be next to the MEMSHIELD, And hence the 32A MCB be simply feeding power to a 32A RCBO I didn't see an issue using this method I just wasn't sure about it if that would be fully compliant seeing as you don't really have an Incomer in the board nor a busbar but in the end you're not exactly increasing any load either. It just means that the Incomer on the MESHIELD would also control the secondary (RCBO) board but that's fine cause its sole purpose would literally be to enable additional protection by means of RCD

Reply to Can you feed a RCBO with a MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net