Search the forum,

Discuss Additional consumer unit in domestic property breaker sizes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you an electrician?

Trev and I and most people here qualified through an apprenticeship where we were taught all of this.

And I too went through an apprenticeship and done my 17th edition 3 years ago and unfortunatly fell into a situation of not being able to get work so have been a labourer for 3 years and need to get back up to scratch on what i was qualified to do which is why i thought i would ask friendly electricins with more experience for a bit of help and guidance to get me back in the right position to get myself up to scratch

And I too went through an apprenticeship and done my 17th edition 3 years ago and unfortunatly fell into a situation of not being able to get work so have been a labourer for 3 years and need to get back up to scratch on what i was qualified to do which is why i thought i would ask friendly electricins with more experience for a bit of help and guidance to get me back in the right position to get myself up to scratch

Why did you do the 17th course if you served your time under the 17th? Your NVQ must have been under 17th regulations?

It was but I had to pay to do a 17th edition regulation course separate to the 3 years of college and the nvq level 3 portfolio. When I was going through my apprenticeship the regs went through the change from 16th to 17th as when i started college we used 16th ed. Books

if you have all the qualifications and a full apprenticeship under your belt as you claim this sort of job should be childs play for your self, its like learning to ride a bike you shouldn't be forgetting such simple stuff.

It's a con!

And it appears that despite doing the 17th qualification people don't even know the difference between a breaker and a switch and when to use them

It's a con!

And it appears that despite doing the 17th qualification people don't even know the difference between a breaker and a switch and when to use them

How am I conning you, I am asking for help off you if I was regular Joe Blogs I would just go ahead and do it. I got all my certificates back in January 2012 I've been labouring since then (2 years 11 months) basically 3 years like I said. In that time I had a lot of family issues I went through lost everything and hit depression and am now in financial difficulty so sorry if this the words breaker and switch got mixed up in my head during all of this.

I've come here to ask you guys for help because surely you've needed that in the past. And if this is childs play then why are you not helping me and just tearing me back down to were I used to be I thought coming to you guys could help me out.

It looks like you have never been living on every penny you get and own your own houses and have vans well to me a penny is a lot and as for a car well thats a luxury to me and my bloody pedal bike. I thought you guys could help me out but guess I was wrong. I have my A's back from school and distictions from college I worked my arse off to be told I was over qualified for certain jobs so can't even work on a till at my local Asda because of that so sorry for asking for help!

Okay sorry about the rant just been through some bad things, anyway the client in question was my uncle and was just trying to help him out a little but I'll do what you lot said and tell him to phone a local electrician with more knowledge than me to do it as I guess I'm just to rusty for this now. Apologies if I offended any of you in anyway.

No it wasn't, you were talking about a breaker not a switch, they are two different and distinct things.

Do you think he means would it be wise to put a DP isolator in for future convenience as a main point of isolation? Oh hang on, how is he going to do that without pulling the main fuse?...

I was over qualified for certain jobs so can't even work on a till at my local Asda because of that so sorry for asking for help!

I went for a job in Sanisburys on the tills once, just to bring in a bit of extra cash, going back a few years now, I was trying to save money for various things, was single and thought it would help, anyway, I turned up in a nice suit for a job interview, walked through sainsburys, went out the back where the staff are, and they were basically laughing at me. I showed the bloke my CV and what I did for a job and he said sorry but you don't need the money nor the job, you are far too qualified to be sitting at a till and we would rather give it to someone who needs it.

I went for a job in Sanisburys on the tills once, just to bring in a bit of extra cash, going back a few years now, I was trying to save money for various things, was single and thought it would help, anyway, I turned up in a nice suit for a job interview, walked through sainsburys, went out the back where the staff are, and they were basically laughing at me. I showed the bloke my CV and what I did for a job and he said sorry but you don't need the money nor the job, you are far too qualified to be sitting at a till and we would rather give it to someone who needs it.

A few years back I went to Sainsburys dressed in my decorating outfit - and got accosted going into Sainsburys and asked if I wanted a job!

I got all my certificates back in January 2012 I've been labouring since then (2 years 11 months) basically 3 years like I said.

Sorry I can't resist saying this, you got them in January 2012, so thats 31 days, a shade over 4 weeks. Oh come on you were wanting me to say that.

I guess I'm just to rusty for this now.

You cannot possibly be 'rusty', you have only been doing this since January 2012, there's no room for being rusty. Without trying to sound rude, you are using incorrect terminology and seem like you haven't got a clue.

Do you mind me asking, which scheme / body are you registered with? NICEIC? NAPIT?

Anyway, ive got a job to do today, oh and don't eat bombay mix when you have a filling thats had a root canal too, I had some last night and broke the filling off, needs a sodding crown now!!

harsh comments maybe, but this job is beyond your experience. i strongly suggest you enlist the aid of someone with more experience to quote with you and work with you , or else you;ll find yourself catching a cold, or worse.

Mate, if you're not an electrician then you need to get one.
If you are then you need to start acting like one.

Got to agree with Trev on this, also, if you are a trainee, I'm asking because your profile says nowt, should you be doing this work?

It sounds like you have the qualifications, but not enough experience. The best thing to do would be to try and find a job working for somebody else so you get chance to get back up to speed.

I went to college in 2007 finished in 2011 and took my 17th in january 2012 but i'm not going to do this as you lot have said it would be out of my league and i have phoned my uncle this morning and told him to get someone else in to do it, he was just trying to help me get a bit of money over christmas and obviously him save money but as the saying goes better to be safe than sorry so i am going to look for a different career path so as not to cause any issues for anyone but thank you all for the truthful comments.

I went to college in 2007 finished in 2011 and took my 17th in january 2012 but i'm not going to do this as you lot have said it would be out of my league and i have phoned my uncle this morning and told him to get someone else in to do it, he was just trying to help me get a bit of money over christmas and obviously him save money but as the saying goes better to be safe than sorry so i am going to look for a different career path so as not to cause any issues for anyone but rhank you all for the truthful comments.

As I said in my previous post, find some work with another electrician. If you have the qualifications, it seems a shame to waste all that hard work.

I went to college in 2007 finished in 2011 and took my 17th in january 2012 but i'm not going to do this as you lot have said it would be out of my league and i have phoned my uncle this morning and told him to get someone else in to do it, he was just trying to help me get a bit of money over christmas and obviously him save money but as the saying goes better to be safe than sorry so i am going to look for a different career path so as not to cause any issues for anyone but thank you all for the truthful comments.
Poor bloke. Be on window ledge by lunchtime :rolleyes:

Reply to Additional consumer unit in domestic property breaker sizes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock