Search the forum,

Discuss AM2 testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Obviously, although what @davesparks said makes good sense and I'll certainly adopt it, as if a tester is going to fail and go 'bang', I'd rather that happen with it anywhere other than against my own body!
i trust my tester to not kill me even if it went bang and blew itself to bits.

Hi I did my am2 last week
Ze just measure each phase to earth and record the highest reading
We were told didn’t need to do pefc just pscc done same as ze except test between each phase and neutral then double highest one and record reading, were ever it says ze db just write your ze in.
You do polarity between all phases to earth, all phases to neutral, between all phases and neutral to earth, ze, pfc, phase sequence at board, then power on, phase rotation at each 3 phase circuits, rcd test then calculate your zs for each circuit.
Do functional tests and u have to write all calculations down

Is this using 3 lead high?

Ask them before you do the test. Where I did it they had a switch where they could bypass the rcd when testing in the bays
ive got my am2 next week im pretty much comfortable with everything apart from live testing as ive done it once about 2 years ago. I'm unsure on tester settings 2 lead low/ 2 lead high / 3 lead high /3 lead low

ive got my am2 next week im pretty much comfortable with everything apart from live testing as ive done it once about 2 years ago. I'm unsure on tester settings 2 lead low/ 2 lead high / 3 lead high /3 lead low

High current tests should be used whenever possible as they give the most reliable result.
A 3 lead low current test should only be used when the presence of an RCD in a circuit prevents high current tests.
A 2 lead low current test will be the least reliable and should only be used when no other method is possible.

High current tests should be used whenever possible as they give the most reliable result.
A 3 lead low current test should only be used when the presence of an RCD in a circuit prevents high current tests.
A 2 lead low current test will be the least reliable and should only be used when no other method is possible.
fantastic thats really helpful! presence of a rcd in a circuit? the its going to be a 3p&n mainswitch. I've been told we are testing from the supply side of the mainswitch so it wouldnt matter about the presence of rcds?
[automerge]1569866453[/automerge]
thanks buddy!!

fantastic thats really helpful! presence of a rcd in a circuit? the its going to be a 3p&n mainswitch. I've been told we are testing from the supply side of the mainswitch so it wouldnt matter about the presence of rcds?

thanks buddy!!
Yes as far as I’m aware you’re correct I’ve always measured my Ze and PFC at supply side of main switch with a 3 lead High setting so Rcds should not come into effect. I take the main earth out of the earth bar and do it that way to avoid parellel paths and give true reading.

Yes as far as I’m aware you’re correct I’ve always measured my Ze and PFC at supply side of main switch with a 3 lead High setting so Rcds should not come into effect. I take the main earth out of the earth bar and do it that way to avoid parellel paths and give true reading.

A high current test is a 2 wire test, it doesnt need the additional neutral connection that the low current tests require.
[automerge]1569876563[/automerge]
K

thanks buddy!!

If the supply to the board has an RCD further upstream, which it may do in a college enviroment, then you would still have to use a low current test. You will have to ask the person supervising your AM2 about this as it will vary between test centres, as someone mentioned earlier some of them will be able to bypass the RCD temporarily for the test.

Last edited:
A high current test is a 2 wire test, it doesnt need the additional neutral connection that the low current tests require.
K

If the supply to the board has an RCD further upstream, which it may do in a college enviroment, then you would still have to use a low current test. You will have to ask the person supervising your AM2 about this as it will vary between test centres, as someone mentioned earlier some of them will be able to bypass the RCD temporarily for the test.
Right ok I
K

Right ok so just to clarify are the results I’m obtaining wrong by carrying out the 3 lead test (high) with the neutral?

Reply to AM2 testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock