Search the forum,

Discuss Apprentice Wage Help!?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've recently been offered an electrical apprenticeship. However I received my contract in the post today and I saw that my wage is going to be £2.65. I'm 19 years of age and have rent, car insurance etc to pay for so I was wondering am I expecting too much? Or as I'm thinking is this not enough?

PS... I know it is within the minimum wage for a first year apprentice I was just hoping for a little more considering my age.

THANKS!

Where abouts are you located?

From and including 4th January, 2010, the hourly rates for Job Employed apprentices shall be:(i) National Standard Rates:
GradeTransport Provided Own Transport
Stage 1£4.35£5.09
Stage 2£6.41£7.16
Stage 3£9.28£10.05
Stage 4£9.82£10.59

- - - Updated - - -

Bit out of date

£2-65 an hour,my god,its no wonder the creation of skilled tradesmen in this country is almost non existent

I don't care whether its learning a trade or sweeping a bog,anyone paying those wages in this day and age deserve to have their testicles fester and have the rot spread to their moral compass

If any of you pay those rates,, or think that you could get away with those rates if you were to employ an apprentice,you should be ashamed of yourself

My own wage was 3 pounds and 1 shilling a week,but it was a young mans living wage,the rates being quoted are slave labour, 3rd world or Thatcher economics,rather than a dignified pay for an aspiring young person

Treat others with the dignity that you would hope that you deserve yourself,try not get suckered into these criminal attitudes
What a perverse attitude to life this country now embraces

To say I’m shocked by what I’ve read would be an understatement. But you have to look at the long term goals.

As an indentured apprentice my first wage was the princely sum of £9-50 a week.
Had mum and dad not helped me (kept me) I don’t think I’d have stuck at it.

OK you probably don’t have mum and dad to help out. But as has been said there is help if you look for it. You’ll probably have to fight for it, but stay in the fight.

All the best to you.

fair play to you mate you are learning what we all feel is the best trade by far, what makes me mad is how someone could pay someone else a pittance like you earn and think its ok I got 1.50 an hour (no overtime I admit) in 1989 and things were a lot cheaper then,

fair play to you mate you are learning what we all feel is the best trade by far, what makes me mad is how someone could pay someone else a pittance like you earn and think its ok I got 1.50 an hour (no overtime I admit) in 1989 and things were a lot cheaper then,

I suppose the answer to that is, there has been thieves and slave masters throughout all of history, and to history it should have been confined

However some people still practice the art,maybe they will get the message in this thread and some young lads trying to get on in a commendable way could find a living wage in their pay packet, after the shame sinks in that is

Reply to Apprentice Wage Help!?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back