Discuss 13 months onsite experience, y3 apprentice in Haringey - London in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've just finished a contract working on a new build where, over the past 13 months, I've learned much of the ins and outs of modern electrical installation.The company I worked for were really happy with my work and wanted me to continue working for them.

However, they also needed me to work for them as a self-employed apprentice which, unfortunately, isn't allowed by the funding body, who require apprentices to be employed on a PAYE basis.

College day release (Tuesdays) starts next week. I have been told there is a short window of 6 weeks where I need to start working for a new company. If this doesn't happen then I'll have to pause study at college until I get an apprenticeship. Which, more than likely. will mean that the end date will be pushed back by a year. As someone in their early 50's, you might imagine this is something I'd rather didn't happen...

Anyway, if you are looking for a multi-skilled, dedicated, experienced and mature someone to join your team then please do get in touch.

All the best,

Connor

However, they also needed me to work for them as a self-employed apprentice which, unfortunately, isn't allowed by the funding body, who require apprentices to be employed on a PAYE basis.

While uncommon it's certainly possible to be a self-employed apprentice in Northern Ireland.

Did the funding body state this specifically or did that information come from elsewhere? If it was the latter I'd be inclined to ask questions - in fact, if it was the former I'd still explore the matter as someone may have expressed an opinion based on assumption rather than fact.

The main difference in funding is that a self-employed apprentice makes the application for themselves, whereas the employer makes the application for an employee.

I wonder if you're an adult apprentice for whom only course fees are available as an employer would generally wish to avail of other funding if it was available to them.

While uncommon it's certainly possible to be a self-employed apprentice in Northern Ireland.

Did the funding body state this specifically or did that information come from elsewhere? If it was the latter I'd be inclined to ask questions - in fact, if it was the former I'd still explore the matter as someone may have expressed an opinion based on assumption rather than fact.
Many of the developments in England have planning and funding constraints, i.e a requirement for local apprentices by the council and PAYE from the sponsor paying the college fees. I believe the reason is to provide local jobs (good PR) and to ensure the apprentices are employed to satisfy government levy rules.

Reply to 13 months onsite experience, y3 apprentice in Haringey - London in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net