Discuss bathroom fan timer switch for situation where neither wire is 120V AC "hot" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'd like to find a timer switch, in a style that looks alright next to decora light switches, to control a bathroom fan.

The bathroom fan connects to a 120V AC continuous power source. It has a USB plug that connects to a humidity detector, and it has leads that can connect to a switch that manually turns the fan on. Otherwise it is getting power but is not running. I am using the leads, which I connected to a Romex cable that goes to an electrical box in the bathroom wall. When the two wires are connected, the fan turns on, and it works well with a traditional wall switch. (The fan also runs automatically when the humidity is high but the wall switch is not turned on.)

Neither of the wires that go to the wall switch are 120V AC "hot" power. I checked with a voltmeter, and it appears that one of the wires is connected to the household neutral or ground, and the other is powered at about 90V DC compared with this.

I am trying to find a countdown timer switch that will work for this application. I tried installing a "Leviton Decora Preset Resistive/Inductive 60-Minute Countdown Timer", but it wouldn't work, apparently because it requires that one of the wires being switched is hot 120V AC, from which the timer switch gets power.

Is anyone familiar with a countdown timer switch that will work for this application? Ideally it will allow me to turn on the fan for 15-30 minutes, and ideally it will look alright next to the decora-style light switches next to it (which are in the same electrical box).

The fan is an Aero Pure model ABF110DH. Details are at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDG129W

Ideally you want a countdown timer with "volt free contacts", ie isolated from the power source that runs the timer.
I'm in UK and not too familiar with the products available to you. If you can find eg a battery powered countdown timer with volt free contacts, that could do the job !
Alternatively you might be able to use the timer you've bought, by providing it with power from a 120V mains supply near where it's located, and as the 'load' connect a 120V relay module. Then connect the n.o. relay contacts to the fan in lieu of the switch you've used 🤔

Reply to bathroom fan timer switch for situation where neither wire is 120V AC "hot" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net