Discuss Best 3 phase board and a question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
What are people fitting in the 3 phase range just lately, I've had a scan at various makes and it seems to be a ---- up between Hager and Wylex at the minute, both are / were decent makes and the RCBO's are reasonably price, things like Merlin are way too dear for the RCBO's.

Also am I right in thinking that commercial lighting doesn't need RCD protection (its all in conduit/tray, nothing buried) I know it didn't up until quite recently and I cant find anything in the latest amendment about it but I've only skim read it at the moment. I know it might be good practice to do it but I'm under strict instructions not to let the price run away on the job.

Also on the Wylex range, when you buy the board it comes without a switch, do you just need the main switch or does it need the fitting kit as well? with Hager it all comes as one unit.

Many TP&N boards come without a switch so you have options for the incoming device, the switch will come with the parts required if at all and for a standard triple pole switch it should fit straight in. Don't forget SPD.
As for additional RCD protection for the lighting then installation methods dictate this and whether ADS is achieved without it.

Many TP&N boards come without a switch so you have options for the incoming device, the switch will come with the parts required if at all and for a standard triple pole switch it should fit straight in. Don't forget SPD.
As for additional RCD protection for the lighting then installation methods dictate this and whether ADS is achieved without it.
Thanks, I was suggesting RCD protection as the regs now say all lighting circuits need RCD's no matter what the installation method or whether or not it meets disconnection times, however the last time I looked this only applied to domestic installations so I was making sure I hadn't missed a recent reg that made it apply to all situations. Like the requirement for sockets, I believe the "competent/skilled person" get out has been removed from the commercial side now.

See Hager everywhere now, they are ‘fashionable’ at the minute due to many YouTube personalities etc. Personally prefer Schneider switchgear.
I like the Schneider stuff but its just merlin in another cover and the 3 phase SP RCBO's are about £60 each. Toolstation do an Axiom 3 phase board for pennies but I wouldn't have the front to fit that, even if it was good quality. There is also the Contactum stuff knocking about but I tried a couple of their consumer units when they updated to the latest spec and had faulty RCD's with both of them.

I guess the it’s not necessarily the “best” but maybe “best for the budget available”? I agree on the Schneider being really good but also pricy. I’ve fitted a lot of Memshield 3 but they’ve really fallen behind in terms of devices and incomers. I haven’t seen one up close yet but Fusebox have launched a 3-phase range. I quite like their consumer units and the pricing looks good so if budget is the main issue you could probably have surge protection and rcbo’s for everything!

I remember seeing a few years back a new Schneider board with hinged Din rails, seemed a good idea at the time, hinged down to allow easy fitting of the cables.

I like Shneider, especially the new Isobar P PON boards, Eaton is nice to install too. I don't like Hager 3ph boards due to the flimsy enclosure and small enclosure depth.

Schneider are best, no doubt...but try pricing (Square D) Loadcentre IKQ, which are now also Schneider. The circuit breakers are exactly the same but have a clip fitted for the Loadcentre board.
A few months ago 10k RCBO's were well cheaper than Acti9 Isobar. EXACTLY the same unit with the clip-in fitted on top.

Reply to Best 3 phase board and a question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net