Search the forum,

Discuss Cable break location in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Breaks in cables often occur. Has anybody any good ideas how to locate the break point?

eg we have an office block in which the cpc is broken. Apart from the obvious ( looking at the fittings), how can we best locate the fault? Is there any method of measuring the length of wire that is intact?

Breaks in cables often occur. Has anybody any good ideas how to locate the break point?

eg we have an office block in which the cpc is broken. Apart from the obvious ( looking at the fittings), how can we best locate the fault? Is there any method of measuring the length of wire that is intact?

I'm no Electrician but I do a lot of work on cars. If I thought there was a break in a particular wire then I would first try to pin point the wire causing the issue and then do a continuity test on it.

It would probably take a number of tests at different points along that wire in order to pin point the break.:eek:

Lol was a joke mate ! don't think an OTDR would find any Rayleigh backscatter on a copper cable ! On a serious note though anyone used a TDR and are they any use for sparks ?

don't need that fancy malarky to find my breaks. just clock the nearest pub.

Could you describe the circuit in the office with the fault a little more? Is it linear (ie a straight end to end run) , branching or a ring?

For a linear or branching circuit my first idea would be to measure the L-cpc potential difference. Where the cpc has continuity to the MET the reading will be full mains potential whereas beyond the break the cpc will be floating at some potential above the MET's potential. This works if no load has metalwork connected to equipotential zone bonded metalwork. Helpful to draw a sketch of the layout of the fittings and if possible draw in the cabling between them either by observation of the cable path or continuity measurement between them, having first disconnected the connections at each fitting.

Or, second idea would be to disconnect L, N and cpc at DB. Connect N and cpc together at DB. Then measure continuity between N and CPC at each fitting. Again, mark up the drawing with the result. Then think about the interconnection(s) between the 'no N-cpc' continuity fittings the remainder and try to trace the section of cabling by disconnecting Ls and Ns at the fittings, joining L to N at a fitting and doing L-N loop continuity measurements at the others.

For ring, disconnect both ends at DB. check continuity of L, N and cpc. If L and N continuous then connect one end's cpc to N at DB and then at each socket measure continuity between N and E. Record results on a drawing. Then disconnect linkage at DB and make a connection between the other end's CPC and N. Mark up drawing and study it.

Last edited:
Think we will close this thread as its unlikely the OP will reply as stated 6yrs has gone by, there is possibly new products on the market since this was created so if anyone is interested in continuing the subject it maybe best to create a new thread and take it from there. :)

Reply to Cable break location in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock