Discuss can I use fresh water to complete a led light circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello all.
I am trying to add led strip lights to my boat trailer. I have marine grade submersible lights. I will have them running parallel to the bunks to aid in night loading. I know I am over thinking this but I would like to add a device that sense water and then sends power to the led lights. I tried just 2 metal contacts in water which does work but it's such a poor conductor the led's barley turn on. The next thing I tried was a water sensor for an alarm system. that was a GRI 2600 12 Volt DC Water Sensor which I wired up but it did nothing for suppling power to the relay wires. I will admit I am just a homeowner that enjoys wiring so I know nothing about this sensor. so I am here looking for professional advice if this is possible...

note..... I understand I can easily run a wire to my truck and an add a switch, or better yet add a rf (or bluetooth) remote switch and wire to the taillights. the remote switch is my plan b if I can't come up with another solution for an auto on/off when in and out of water. This boat is only used on lakes and rivers so no salt water solutions.

thank you and thanks for any advice

You will need to use a transistor switch circuit. As you say, the limited conductivity of the water will make it difficult to use it to switch the LED directly.

Something along these lines:

Another option is to put a 'float switch' on the trailer, which when submerged will physically make contacts close, and if wired in series with the led circuit that will turn it on.
Perhaps vibration of the trailer might not be kind to it though. Other designs are available!
eg (designed for mains voltage, but still ok for low voltage) PRO83R | RS PRO Horizontal External Nylon Float Switch, Float, 1m Cable, SPNO, 240V ac Max, 120V dc Max | RS - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/float-switches/1748421?gb=b

Have you considered how you will prevent the lights from coming on intermittently when driving in wet weather or through puddles as this could cause a hazard on the road or result in you getting stopped by the police.

Reply to can I use fresh water to complete a led light circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net